Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 17/8/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Estuary: This week has been a full of mixed reports coming from the beautiful Wallis Lake. Flathead are still about in good numbers however there seems to be a lot of smaller fish in the schools now since they have moved back down into the lower parts of the system. A slowly worked soft plastic or vibe is the secret to finding these fish as they tend to be a little sluggish this time of year due to the cool water temperature. Bream fishermen have been left frustrated this week as they have struggled to find feeding fish. While they can see plenty of fish in the gin clear water, getting them to bite is another story all together. My tip is to fish super light (4lb or maybe less!) and use very natural looking soft plastics (I have been having great success on the Keitech ‘little Spider’ this week). Luderick are still about in good numbers and there are some quite big ones (well over 40cm) in amongst them. If you find them a little quiet, try burleying up a little with a mixture of wet sand, bread and chopped weed (and maybe add some Ultrabite or similar), this usually gets them ‘on the chew’.

Beach and Rock: Beach fishing reports have been very positive this week. Tailor up to 4kg have been about in fairly good numbers to the south, as have Australian Salmon. A couple of typically summer species seem to have made a return to the sand as I have had a few different reports filter through of big catches of Dart and the odd Whiting. Mulloway reports are slowly increasing, again the beaches to the south seem to be the pick with slabs of Tailor and Salmon being the baits of choice. Black Drummer remain the focus for most rock fishermen and for good reason as they are loitering within the wash in fairly good numbers. Some of the fish are up over the 50cm mark so be prepared for a good fight as pound for pound these brutes will pull most fish backwards!

Offshore: The offshore scene has been fairly steady over the past week and should improve significantly once the predicted weather/swell passes next week. There have been some really nice Snapper (up to 8kg) and Pearl Perch caught this week, mainly on the reefs in 40-60m of water. The shallow reefs seem to be getting better each day, hopefully once the swell eases next week we will see a bit more activity. The deeper grounds have been hammered by a fair bit of current over the past week or so, it will be good to see what it’s like out there tomorrow as I’m sure there will be a few keen anglers venturing wide in search of Bar Cod.

Have a great weekend!

Luke Austin.
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 02 65549541
The Fisherman’s Tackle Store! Family owned and operated, and proudly independent for over 30 years!
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store