Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

15/9/06 Weekly Report

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:25 pm

Offshore: The last few days have seen the sea conditions improve dramatically, although only a few crews have had the time to take a trip out. Local pros continue to target bonito on metal jigs. They report some kings, samson fish and the occasional amberjack as well. A couple of old-timers having a drift for flathead yesterday told me the leatherjackets remain a problem. I'd expect the snapper and pearl perch to be in good numbers on the reefs. The coming weekend looks like being reasonably calm so hopefully I'll have plenty to talk about next week.
Beaches: More salmon! Time to get the worming pliers out and start thinking about sand whiting.
Rocks: There have been a few second-hand reports of snapper and mulloway off the rocks down Seal Rocks way, but these are unconfirmed.
Estuary: We're technically about to start a prawn run in the lake but recent heavy rain has seen a lot of fresh coming out of the system which may have pushed a lot of prawns out early. Time will tell. The breakwalls have seen some bream and mulloway action in the dirty run-off water, as you would expect. A few afternoons ago small kingfish were being taken from the Tuncurry wall on small metal lures. Lots of shark sightings reported.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541