Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

14/10/05 Weekly Report

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:54 am

Offshore: The water continues to warm up, as does the fishing. More yellowfin and even an albacore fell victim to the boys on Dreamcatcher. A couple of mahi mahi have also been reported. In closer the trag and snapper fishing is the best it’s been for months. The by-catch of pearl perch is also on the rise. Watch out for whales!
Beaches: The salmon continue to hang around and are providing some sport for those chasing whiting on light gear. The whiting themselves are few and far between.
Rocks: The divers continue to tell me that headlands are loaded with mulloway, so that's my suggested target species for those that want to do some rock hopping. What tailor that are around have come from the rocks.
Estuary: The trumpeter whiting have arrived in the estuary and with them boatloads of old blokes who spend more time cleaning the little things than it takes to catch them. Some quality flathead have been taken throughout the system. I gave Seamo a great photo of a 96cm lizard caught by Dave Priddle. You should see it in the December edition of Fishing Monthly. The fish of course was released. The bream in the rivers are happy to take a bait or lures. The mud crabs are active but the blue swimmers are slow to start, but ,then again, it is still only October.