Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 5/1/07

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:18 pm

Offshore: While the water in close remains cold, reports of small black and striped marlin are now coming in. Several blue marlin have been raised by boats working wide. In most cases they have been a bit big to handle and few have stayed hooked up for long. Quality mahi mahi have been a by-catch of marlin trolling but the smaller versions are yet to come in closer. Some warm water must be around as I've been told a large mahi mahi was taken off rocks at Crowdy Head! All of the charter boats have been returning with excellent catches of snapper. Some trailer boats have even come home with bag limits of big pearl perch. Snapper on soft plastics have been on offer first thing in the morning around Blackhead and Latitude Rock.
Beaches: Tuncurry Beach remains quiet with some small tailor and whiting the best on offer. Seven Mile Beach and those further south remain the most consistent for whiting, bream and what tailor that are available.
Rocks: No LBG
Estuary: Despite the heavy boat traffic the fish continue to bite. Lots of whiting are concentrated in the lower parts of the lake system making them easy to target. Large flathead are common on the run-out tide. Bream are very active on surface poppers, particularly along the river banks. Mud crabs are being trapped in the lower Wallamba River but blue swimmers are not in the numbers we expect at this time of the year.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541

After some info

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:48 pm

Great reading your posts on this site. I have been watching for while. Myself and a group of guys are holidaying up there mid march. Never been before, wanting to know info about getting through the enterance into deep water
5.2 meter boat hope you can help

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Rumrunner,
when you here, walk down the wall on an outgoing tide and look at the water. It will make what i have written a lot easier to understand
I am a local that crosses the Forster bar almost every weekend. An incoming tide you dont have any problems either with wind or current. An outgoing tide is a different story. When heading out across the bar with an outgoing tide try and stay as close as you are game to the right hand rock wall (about 12 foot out) as there is an eddy that runs all the way down nearly to the end. The only bad bit is then the 20m right on the end of the breakwall but you can duck around the corner to the right once you past the end of the breakwall and head across the front of the main beach of Forster. Coming back in is the same. Always approach the bar from the left hand side and stay on the edge of the tide line. Once inside the end of the breakwall stay to the left and run along the edge of the eddy again and you wont have all the pressure waves to battle. if the wind is from the NE the waves get bigger and the need to stay closer to the breakwall is greater. I travel over the bar in a 5.4m Mustang and over the last 6 years I have only had 1 bad crossing on an outgoing tide.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for your reply Coyote and Geepers sound difficult certainly on a low tide. So on the way out staying close to the rocks are the waves large enough to have an impact on the boat making it hairy with the rocks
When you turn to the right after the rocks end are we talking white water at that point or are we beyong that point.

You say incoming tide much easier, are we talking less dangerous for buffeting around near the rocks.

Sorry for so many questions but we as a group are really excited at the prospect of fishing the area. So one last question is it worth while going outside vs fishing the waterways inside.

Thanks for your help

Rumrunner

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Rumrunner.
there isnt really any breaking waves that come across the bar. If waves break across the front o f the bar, you dont want to be going out as the swell will be 4-5m high. With an outgoing tide the water moves fast through a fairly narrow entrance which make more of the pressure wave instead of a breaking wave as such. staying fairly close to the rocks just keeps you out of the main flow and in a slower moving water(hense it being safer). the end of the bar very rairly will have a breaking wave and if there is it is a pressure wave made from the force of the moving water out so it is still quite safe. keep the nose of the boat high (trim motor up a bit so the boat wont want to bottom out between wave and take one over the front)and keep the boat moving forward and there is no problem. When you duck around the corner it is quite safe as you are getting out of the outward flow and you are moving into deeper water.
Again watch other people cross the bar and talk to the locals. If you want to get in touch with me give me a call on 0427 199951 and we can discuss further

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks for the advise Coyote, I will take your number with us just in case, all your info is most welcome

Tight lines to you