Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 15/06/07

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Offshore: Conditions have been such that you wouldn't venture far from shore just to get a feed of fish. Another low pressure system is currently developing off our section of the coast and another blow is expected until at least Monday 18/6. A few pro fishos got in close at the base of Cape Hawke earlier in the week and caught some very big tailor, but that's about it.
Beaches: Last weekends big seas moved a fair bit of sand around but didn't create much additional structure. There were reports of big schools of bream moving up the coast at Seal Rocks early in the week. These fish could have been flushed out of the Hunter and Myall systems by recent heavy rain and should continue up the coast over coming weeks. As recently as last night my old Dad was catching tailor and salmon on Boomerang Beach.
Rocks: If you could find a safe spot to fish, the reports coming in have been terrific. Lots of bream, drummer and blackfish are available and cunjevoi as bait is as good as ever. One brave soul did a little spearfishing on a reasonably calm day (they have been rare ) and told me that he has never seen so many groper along the section that he dived, particularly big blue groper. I'm sworn to secrecy on the exact location.
Estuary: Plenty of fresh coming down the channel on the run-out tide, and with more rain forecast this may remain the norm for a while yet. The early run-in tide along the breakwalls have provided excellent bream fishing. If you’re in a boat, don't go to far up the lake, just work the transition line between the clean and dirty water.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541