Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 20/07/07

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Offshore: Another week of cold, howling southerly wind. If you must go outside, prepare for leatherjackets, and loss of gear through bite-offs. Still a few tailor off Latitude Rock below Cape Hawke, which has provided some shelter from the wind.
Beaches: Earlier in the week proved best for tailor from the beach. Fish of the week that I know of has been a Tailor of 7.25kg, that's 16lb in the old money. Salmon, of course, are ever-present, as are a few bream. Seven Mile Beach remains the pick.
Rocks: The drummer fishing remains excellent and could be considered the best in years. Most rock platforms are holding fish. Rocks around the base of Cape Hawke also produced quality bream last weekend. The spearos tell me that they have never seen so many drummer, bream, and blackfish off the rocks south of Forster.
Estuary: Despite all the islands dotted throughout Wallis Lake, it's still been hard to escape the rough conditions. There is some great bream fishing to be had but you'll work hard if the current conditions continue. Several people have commented upon the number of bream, mullet and blackfish they have seen schooling together. Blackfish are on the improve, but quality weed is still hard to come by.
The old-timers tell me that magpies are already nesting and some plants are already shooting new growth. They believe this means we will have an early Spring. We can only hope they're right, but I doubt it.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541