Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 17/08/07

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:47 am

Offshore: It's been a while since really big kingfish have been reported, but fish up to 20kg were taken over the past week. Some have come from reefs well to our north and others from wide of Cape Hawke. No doubt these fish will also be in the Seal Rocks area. Once again those going out for an after-dark session have done well on Trag and snapper. It goes without saying that leatherjackets are likely to be encountered. Nine months late, but the new Dreamcatcher II has arrived in port for the coming game season. Owner/skipper Lee Turner's brand new South Australian built Whitecaps is loaded with electronics and technology and he can't wait to start working the local waters. The original Dreamctcher was one of the most successful recreational game boats operating off this part of the coast, with a strike rate some professional operators would envy. No doubt the new boat will soon be up to speed. Any locals interested in becoming involved with the Great Lakes Game Fishing Club should contact me at the shop.
Beaches: Salmon numbers are at record levels which have attracted plenty of big predators. Surfing Seven Mile Beach would not be a good idea at the moment. Tailor continue to be taken on metals and pilchards. I'm told Celito Beach, near the opening to Smiths Lake, continues to fish well. A few locals who don't want to drive too far tell me they are catching some nice bream off the northern end of One Mile Beach.
Rocks: The excellent rock season continues with drummer galore on offer. Local divers tell me the number of groper along the coastline are at levels never seen before. This is a great reflection of the health of the system or maybe a consequence of the decline in the number of people targeting this species and winter rock fishing generally.
Estuary: Just when we thought that the mulloway were on the improve, things again go quiet. Not so the blackfish which will provide you some fun even if you don't fill the bag. Bream are being reported in the lower reaches of the rivers, particularly the Wallamba. While rarely targeted at this time of year, one angler told me that he has sighted lots of big whiting around The Step. The water is still cool, but flathead activity seems to be on the increase.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541