Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 21/09/07

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:43 pm

Offshore: Three boats worked wide last weekend and discovered plenty of 21° water on the continental shelf but little else. In closer there was plenty of bird activity and lots of rat yellowfin tuna around 8kg. Not much of a challenge on 24kg marlin gear. The reef fishos had a great weekend with snapper again common and fish to 3kg being regularly caught. The water in close the last few days has been dirty and along with the persistent wind doesn't inspire you much. Pro fisherman tell me that the bonito numbers are on the increase. If you can get out after dark, the trag are on the chew.
Beach: Early in the week conditions weren't too bad and a few anglers took advantage of a great gutter on the northern end of Seven Mile Beach. While salmon seem to be the only species on offer, some outstanding bream have come from this spot. Some of these fish have been in the mid 40cm length. Little if any word of tailor on the beaches. The mulloway fishing in our district has been slow so head north to Harrington where I'm told they are everywhere.
Rocks: I'm sure there are still plenty of drummer around, but the peak winter effort by the rockhoppers has started to drop off. Some of those bream that are on Seven Mile Beach should be found off rocks under cape Hawke.
Estuary: Once again the breakwall mulloway activity has been slow, but the wall at Harrington is the place to be. I've had photos sent to me in the last week of several 15kg fish caught there. Small tailor are everywhere under the bridge after dark, but finding a legal size one is a challenge. Quality bream will be found in the same spot, again only after dark. Dusky flathead are now very common and are easy to target.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541