Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 20/3/08

Post by Tony Zann » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 am

Offshore - The number of bait schools offshore at the moment has to be seen to be believed. As a consequence the bigger predators don't have to work hard for a feed and aren't concentrated in any particular area. Last Friday and Saturday, reefs wide of Seven Mile Beach were loaded with Cobia, but when I went there Sunday, the bait was still there but not the Cobia. Smaller Bonito and Mac Tuna are the species regularly found under the bait. Lots of reports coming in from those that have fished inshore reefs of huge numbers of juvenile Samson Fish and Amberjacks. Some big Kings have been reported in and around the Five Mile. Mahi Mahi are plentiful but at times a little on the small side. Trolling live baits or skirted lures is worth your while as plenty of Marlin have been sighted by those not fishing for them.

Beaches - I've had one unconfirmed report of Mullet already running up the coast, although local fish are yet to leave the lake. Tailor and Bream continue to be caught off most beaches. A few notable Mulloway capture have been reported well to our north at Old Bar. The weather for the first few days of Easter could see the winds coming from the SE, so the southern corners of the beaches could be the best place to start.
Rocks - LBG reports are positive with fish coming from most rock platforms. Those chasing a feed of Bream or Tailor will find plenty on offer.
Estuary - Lots of Mullet are schooling up in the lower parts of the lake and are getting ready to run to sea. This will usually trigger plenty of Mulloway activity along the breakwalls, so stay tuned. Bream fishing has been great and will only improve as some 'sea run' fish move into the lake. A few notable 8 & 9 kg Flathead captures have occurred in the last week or so and I'm pleased to say these fish were returned to the water. In all case live poddy's were the key to success. Still lots of people chasing Leatherjackets which seem to be in above average numbers.