Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 27/6/08

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Offshore: Water temperature remains above average for this time of year. Inshore reefs have produced some quality snapper on baits and plastics. The best I've heard of was 9kg. Huge tailor are also a feature in close and around headlands. Mac tuna are still being encountered but to a lesser extent than in recent months. Out wide it's worth having a drop for some bar cod. Those drifting in closer report that the leatherjackets are back bigger and better than ever!
Beaches: General consensus is that most beaches are lacking in structure. Hopefully some improved tides early next week will see an increase in fish activity. Salmon are now being reported as a by-catch of those chasing tailor. As mentioned in the offshore report, there are plenty of tailor about, just not always on the beaches.
Rocks: There are heaps of bream off rocks under Bennetts Head and with offshore winds can be easily targeted out of a tinnie, if necessary. Drummer are being caught in big numbers up and down our part of the coast. Blackfish can also be found in big numbers, with the south end of Blueys Beach and under Cape Hawke two spots worth trying. The best of the tailor have come from the rocks. I had two guys in my sho0p earlier in the week asking about tuna off the rocks. I told them they were a bit late for the longtails to which they replied that they were here to target yellowfin! They were obviously from the city and were deadly serious. Do they know something I don't?
Estuary: The breakwalls are producing plenty of bream and blackfish, with the occasional drummer off the end of the Forster wall. The oyster leases in the lower part of the lake are producing bream for those using baits. The Wallamba River is providing plenty of bream on lures. Mulloway have been quiet.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541