Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 11/7/08

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 am

Offshore: After a very chilly week, the forecast for the next three or four days looks pretty good for this time of year. Close in reefs should provide snapper, although general consensus is that the bigger fish have disappeared. The leatherjacket situation that was shaping up to be the worst ever has reached some sort of balance with nature. While you may lose a few rigs to these critters, you should be at least able to catch the species you are targeting. A few striped tuna have been reported in close, giving what bait schools are around some hurry-up. Small kingfish are common at Latitude Rock. If good conditions prevail, a trip out wide for a bar cod is an option to consider.
Beaches: A bit slow (except for the salmon) but some nice evening high tides over the next few days should see a few tailor put in the bag. Reports have been few and far between so I can't comment on where might be the best place to go. One thing is for sure, where there are salmon you can be assured that big things with teeth with be close by.
Rocks: I've mentioned previously how good the drummer fishing has been and reports continue to come in of great catches of this species. From my point of view it seems that less and less people target drummer in this area. I suppose this is good for both those that do target them and the fish stock in question. Most rock platforms are also providing great catches of bream. Tailor have been more easily targeted form the rocks than the beaches.
Estuary: A bit of mulloway activity in the last week for those fishing the breakwalls. Soft plastics have made a comeback accounting for several of these fish. The availability of live bait has dropped away and probably explains the increased use of plastics. The walls are also the place to pick up plenty of bream. The old-timers are doing their best to destroy the local blackfish population but are being hampered by the lack of local green weed. They don't like spending too much on petrol driving around looking for the stuff. The big tailor that were in the lake a couple of weeks ago seem to have moved on.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541