Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 26/9/08

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Offshore: The snapper have been a standout with some anglers reporting their PBs after a lifetime of fishing. Leatherjackets won’t go away and those on the drift are particularly susceptible to bite-offs. Several reports of small kingfish along with some trag after dark. Shallow water reefs off Old Bar and as far north as Crowdy Head have been the places to try your hand with soft plastics.
Beaches: Great tides at the moment give hope to some reasonable beach fishing although the actual results for the last week or so have not been great. Smiths Lake is open to the sea at the moment, so fishing on or near that feature would be my pick.
Rocks: Those that continue to put in the effort will find drummer, groper and blackfish still available. Berley has been the difference between those that have and those that have not come home with a feed. No standout rock platform comes to mind.
Estuary: Winter seems to have lasted longer this year and the mulloway are slow to rise from their slumber. I know of two quality fish caught in the channel using soft plastics, although the amount of medium-size mullet in the system at the moment indicates that one of these on a live bait hook wouldn't go wrong. The flathead have been particularly active with anglers of all standing catching good quantities on all manner of lures and baits. Some whiting have been reported and the bream have been a bit fussy. Some legal tailor are to be found in the lower parts of the system. Those that don't sleep tell me that after dark there has been a lot of prawn activity. Crabs are beginning to move with some early season muddies to be had.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541