Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 7/11/08

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Offshore: The couple of marlin encounters a few weeks back have been hard to replicate but local boats will venture to Coffs Harbour this weekend for the annual Hot Currents tournament and will try their luck up there. The reefs have provided trag after dark, small to medium sized reds and more morwong than you can poke the proverbial stick at. Some big kingfish have been reported in close around Seal Rocks.
Beaches: The lower parts of Tuncurry Beach are still providing salmon, but little else. The beach fishing is generally below par.
Rocks: Given the big kings seen around Seal Rocks, it might be time for a little bit of early season LBG in that area. Plenty of bream being reported by traditional rock fishos.
Estuary: Several big mulloway have been hooked from the breakwalls but few have been landed. Baits and plastics are all working. Those that have dived the channel tell me that some of the fish lying near the triangle are enormous. The last few mornings have seen the lower parts of the lake rather congested as the fleet jockeys for position to catch their 20 trumpeter whiting. As I've mentioned in previous years, some of these guys have trouble counting their catch and a visit by the local fishing inspector may help them with their maths. Flathead, sand whiting, mullet and garfish are all being targeted, depending on the tide. Some big schools of blue sprat have been reported south of The Step and are being harassed not only by terns and pelicans but some big bream and no doubt some lazy flathead.
No reports for the next two weeks as I'm heading north for a spot of Barra action.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541