Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 31/1/09

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:41 am

Offshore: A massive current continues to make offshore fishing difficult. The current is so strong that the FAD has been pushed under water. In the last few days a push of cleaner and warmer water has moved in a should provide for improved mahi mahi activity. Huge leatherjackets are being reported, shades of the last few winters. The reefs will provide a feed, but you may care to head well north for the best of the snapper. Having said that, several people have reported large pearl perch off reefs wide of Seven Mile Beach. ie south of town. My Seal Rocks spy tells me that they are catching plenty of everything.
Beaches: Bluebottles litter a lot of the beaches, no doubt a result of that warm patch of water that moved in a few days back. Whilst most beaches are full of undersize whiting, a few guys fishing the northern end of Nine Mile Beach have told me that with a little patience a few decent size fish will be caught.
Rocks: Nothing to report.
Estuary: Very little mulloway activity in the channel but plenty of sharks are being hooked after dark. Whiting and flathead remain the easiest fish to target throughout the lake system. Several reports of big and aggressive bream have come from those fishing in the central parts of the lake between Green Point and Coomba Park. Lures and baits ( unweighted ) have had success.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541