Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 6/3/09

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Offshore: Conditions for the start of the weekend are looking good. Satellite images show a huge band of 25° water along the coast and this should provide plenty of choices for the offshore angler. Mahi mahi remain a little on the small side, but my comments in last week’s report on live bait stand. A variety of tuna species remain available and have been caught trolling small Jet Heads and Xmas trees. Snapper seem to have gone a little quiet, with next to no reports coming in. With the full moon next week it's probably worth a night trip to target trag. Cobia are around and I have one report of a Spotted mackerel being caught at Latitude Rock, albeit a very small one. Spearfishos tell me that there are lots of mulloway along the coast and inshore reefs. The game fishing scene continues to disappoint.
Beaches: The good run of beach fishing should continue. It's pleasing to see so many happy beach anglers out and about after what's been a slow few months. Tailor, bream and some quality whiting have all been reported. I'm sure that those who like to target mulloway will also be out there. Diamond Beach, Seven Mile and parts of Tuncurry Beach have provided most of my recent reports. No doubt the beaches in the Pacific Palms and Seal Rocks areas are also fishing well.
Rocks: Some big drummer have come from rocks in the Diamond Beach/Hallidays Point area. Most rock fishos have been able to find plenty of bream action. Everything is set up for a great LBG season. All we need now are for the schools of longtails to show up.
Estuary: Mulloway are again active in the main channel along with plenty of bream and small tailor. I'm aware of two 10kg dusky flathead caught throught the week, unfortunately the attempts to release one of these fish failed. Bream and whiting have been very aggressive and continue to respond to all manner of surface lures.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541