Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 1/5/09

Post by Tony Zann » Fri May 01, 2009 10:11 am

The weather for the coming weekend should allow anglers of all descriptions to take advantage of the great fishing we are currently experiencing.
I've spoken to a lot of people over the last few days and the general consensus is that you should head south from Forster/Tuncurry and meet the fish as they head north on their annual migration. My spies at Seal Rocks tell me that there are tonnes of mullet moving along the beaches south of Seals. With them are some quality bream. All beaches and rocks in that area are producing big tailor, with several fish in the 1m range caught over the last week. The tailor have been so aggressive that those spinning metal lures are watching the fish launch themselves into the air as they take the lure.
Those that have gone in the water to do some spearing report lots of kingfish well over legal size. These guys also report good numbers of blackfish but not the big schools that are soon to come. Sharks are very commonly sighted.
Offshore in the same area, pearl perch have been a feature along with a fair assortment of snapper. Closer to Forster/Tuncurry, I know of several 6kg reds and one just over 9kg in the last week.
Bonito, mack tuna and tailor are in big numbers on the inshore reefs and headlands. Just legal mahi mahi have been caught at the FAD. Cobia should still be in the area and have traditionally been targeted in the first half of May at the area known as the Ballast Heap.
Wallis Lake is still the source of mullet running to sea and heading north along Tuncurry Beach. The local mulloway population must have followed the mullet up the beach as few if any mulloway have been caught in the channel. As you would expect, bream fishing in the lake is excellent at this time of the year. A couple of young guys fishing in the middle of the night are catching some huge whiting around the bridge, yet you can't find these fish during the day.
Estuary catch of the week was by an old friend of mine who was very happy with a 55cm mangrove jack.
A few groups of LBG addicts continue to feed live baits to mack tuna in the faint hope that a lost and lonely longtail will eventually beat the macs to the bait. I think they'd have a better chance targeting Cobia using a bonito as bait – that's if the sharks don't arrive first.
Lloyd Campbell, Great Lakes Tackle 6554 9541

garry dowd

Re: Weekly Report 1/5/09

Post by garry dowd » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 am

good report, what,s the best way to target cobia?

flathead hunter

Re: Weekly Report 1/5/09

Post by flathead hunter » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:25 pm

are you telling me mangrove jacks swim in our waters? flat headhunter cheers.