Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 4/12/09

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 pm

The offshore fishing is greatly improved with warmer and cleaner water now moving down the coast. The sea surface temperature chart shows water of approx 22° now covering the FAD, so a quick trip out could find some early season mahi mahi. As recently as yesterday (Dec 3) reefs to our north produced terrific captures of snapper from 4kg to 7kg. With these came the usual sprinkling of quality pearl perch. Trag are still being reported after dark. Deep water fishing for bar cod has resulted in mainly small fish. Lots of people reporting sharks cruising near their boats or taking their catch.
Big tailor were caught last weekend off the northern end of Seven Mile Beach. You had to be there before the sun came up or you missed out.
The mulloway fishing, particularly from the Tuncurry breakwall, has been outstanding on baits and soft plastics. Fish well over 20kg are common. The improved water temperature in the lake has had an immediate effect on the flathead. One customer yesterday caught four fish over 70cm and let them all go.
Bream and whiting should also be targeted using the usual bait and lure techniques. For those who enjoy a feed of garfish, head up to the weed beds and start berleying. Crab activity has also been excellent.
This is my last report. After 12 summers in retail tackle it's time to move on. The new proprietors of Great Lakes Tackle will be Brad and Lisa Andrew. Brad will be submitting future reports from December 18.
Many thanks to all those people who have contacted me over the years via this report, particularly those hardy LBG addicts who travel far and wide in search of tuna and cobia. Special thanks also to Tony Zann, editor of NSW Fishing Monthly.
Lloyd Campbell,
Great Lakes Tackle
02 6554 9541

skullatinny

Re: Weekly Report 4/12/09

Post by skullatinny » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm writing this post to say thanks & farewell to Lloyd Campbell of Great Lakes Tackle Tuncurry. I have been reading Lloyds' fishing reports for some years now with much interest.
I am sad to see him go & wish him his wife & family all the best of luck for their future.I haven't met the new owners Brad & Lisa Andrew as yet but would like to take this opportunity to welcome them to Tuncurry (PARADISE) on the Mid North Coast of N.S.W. & wish them all the best of luck with their new venture.
Thanking you ....SKULLATINNY...