Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 10/9/10

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Estuary: The flathead in the lake have decided to wake up and return to activity. Many good reports this week of flatties around 40cm. Mixed reports of where and how they were caught, but it seems that 3” minnow soft plastics have been the pick. A few of the older fishos have done well on the bream around the Wallamba River entrance around the old oyster leases fishing very light with a pea sinker and a Mustad 92247 baited with bonito or striped tuna fillets.
Our luderick fishers have had a harder week along the breakwall with the fish simply off the bite. A few large tides and a bit of rough water may well have broken off some weed higher up the rocks. This excess weed washing around has obviously provided plenty of feed so feeding may well be low on their priorities. However, I did receive a disturbing report late last week from one luderick fisherman who boasted that he caught a ‘good bag limit’ early one morning then decided to ‘top the freezer up’ the same afternoon with another bag limit. This type of fishing does not impress me one bit and these people really need to get in touch with today’s attitude towards sustainable fishing!
Rocks: Not much to report, only a few second-hand reports of small jewies off the rocks near Bennetts Head.
Offshore: Some great fishing this week with nice flathead on the gravel about 1.5km straight out from the breakwall entrance. One report of trag up off Diamond Head and leatherjackets of nice size in 60-70m. Smaller jackets being caught as you get in shallower.
Beach: Not much other than salmon along with a few tailor. Whiting have started, so time to grab a few worms.
With the election now done and dusted (and not in our best fishing interests) can I remind everyone that the marine park issue will now definitely be back on the table. The Jervis Bay and Solitary Islands zoning plans are now high on the list and you now only have six days to have your say. If any of you, or your friends or family, or mates down at the pub, or down at the boat ramp, or even those on your own email address lists, wish to Easily make a submission on the proposed changes to the Solitary Islands Marine Park Zoning Plan, and the Jervis Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan, then simply go to: www.savesol.com and then www.savejb.com and follow the simple instructions. Remember, the important part of making a submission, is to add a short personal comment (for example, "I don't want to lose any more fishing access" or " I don't believe that Sanctuary Zones are the best way to protect marine biodiversity" in the box provided at the end of the pro-forma submission documents provided.
Brad & Lisa Andrew,
Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 23, 29 Manning Street (Bi-Lo Plaza)
TUNCURRY NSW 2428
Phone/Fax: 02 6554 9541

fredster

Re: Weekly Report 10/9/10

Post by fredster » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Must be a long holiday this one, wish I could get 5 weeks off