Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 26/11/10

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 am

Estuary: The main Tuncurry Channel is again producing great catches of mulloway, with the past 7 days rewarding anglers with fish up to 30lb. My spies tell me that five fish up to this size have been landed. Tailor and salmon have being caught from the entrance up to and beyond the bridge – although I think the salmon school may well have got lost!
Flathead are in outstanding numbers and can be caught on soft plastics, hardbodies or the traditional drift with a whole whitebait or a strip of mullet or bonito fillet. Sand and trumpeter whiting can be found in the shallows near The Step. It is starting to grate at my nerves about anglers coming in to our store and boasting about how many whiting they can catch in one day. Some reports like ‘I got 60 fillets today’ or ‘I did alright this morning, might go back and get some more this arvo’ are disappointing to say the least. I am not sure how one person can eat 60 fillets in one day but these people seem to be able to, as they go back the next day and get more! Unfortunally, this is the ugly side of some fishermen and of recreational fishing and seems to be familiar around some of our older folk. Guys and girls, please take only what you need – leave some for other anglers and for our future generations. We are forever fighting green political groups about sustainable fishing and trying to stop no-take zones – behaviour like this will only add fuel to these political parties’ fire!
Rock: No reports this week.
Offshore: Quality trag have been on the chew day and night. A good roll-up of 24 members from The Lakes and Ocean Fishing Club fished last weekend and caught some good snapper and flatties. Just shy of 160 fish were caught, weighing in at 120kg. The CSIRO website is showing some nice warm water around out near the FAD which in turn should start to produce some mahi mahi.
Beach: A few bream have been around on the northern end of Seven Mile near Janies with some small tailor among them. Good reports of large mulloway being caught on Tuncurry Beach on worms.
Brad & Lisa Andrew,
Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 23, 29 Manning Street (Bi-Lo Plaza)
TUNCURRY NSW 2428
Phone/Fax: 02 6554 9541

fredster

Re: Weekly Report 26/11/10

Post by fredster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Some people clearly don't understand bag limits are there to ultimately benefit all of us, there is one easy solution, take their boat or car rego, ring fisheries and dob them in. By not reporting them, are we any better than they are?