Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 1/2/13

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Estuary: Well what can change in a week! Last weekend Forster copped 320mm (13”) of rain and a lot of it ended up in the lake and the river. The lake is the colour of iced coffee with the addition of trees, plastic bags, towels and other associated rubbish. However, the diehard fishos still fished this week and headed into the lower lake for a few good bream and some plate-sized flathead out of the Breckenridge Channel. Report of a kingfish caught in Forster Keys on Wednesday afternoon. If we don’t get more rain, the lake will clear up by early next week and will bring spectacular fishing in the lower reaches.
Rock: Stay home – seas are too big!
Offshore: Ditto above. However, Thursday afternoon a few guys headed out and caught some bait. Slimies are around The Hawke and I did receive a report that one boat went north and got some nice morwong and plenty of wrasse.
Beach: Not much happening around town. A few guys have fished up at Crowdy on the wall and the beach for some good jewfish most nights this week. Further North at Kylies Beach jew are on the bite.
As happens every year the holiday season brings out the seasoned, well-informed fishos, and you learn a lot in the shop. This year we were asked and told:
• What day does the tide stop running along the breakwall as I keep losing my gear? In the morning it goes one way and in the afternoon it’s going just as fast the other way. Will they be any day this week when it does not happen?
• I have some live prawns and want to fish with them. What way do I hook them up? After showing the fisho the correct way we were then told, ‘I suppose you need to watch the backbone of the prawn so you do not kill them’!
• There are no fish in the lake, as I haven’t caught any this week. The problem you guys have is the shallow bar at the entrance because the fish can’t swim into the lake, as it is too shallow!
• ‘I have caught this fish, what is it?’ (showed picture to shop staff) It turned out to be an estuary cod. After telling the customer to release the fish as they are protected he went on to tell us that his seven-year-old child caught it so he can keep it as only fishing licence holders have to comply, then asked if we had ever eaten one and what did they taste like.
You just never know what you may learn each day of your life!!
Brad & Lisa Andrew,
Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 23, 29 Manning Street (Bi-Lo Plaza)
TUNCURRY NSW 2428
Phone/Fax: 02 6554 9541