Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Weekly Report 14/02/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Estuary
A quieter week in the estuary than normal however a lot of tourists have gone home so lake fishing is back to less traffic. Those that have fished are still getting bag limits of Whiting each morning on sunrise and amongst those are still plenty of quality flathead. A few good reports of large Leatherjackets along the washboards of the oyster leases taking prawns. The breakwall at the co op has plenty of Bream although sharks are chasing fish right up under the bridge.

Rock
No reports at all this week !

Offshore
The FAD is firing well with Dolphin fish in good numbers. Miles of bonito are in close along with some very large Greenback tailor taking Metal lures. Flathead on the gravel as usual are there and most tell me that 55cm is the popular size being caught. One report this week from a few regular customers is the Great White hanging around Bennetts Head. Guys chasing squid after work on Tuesday encountered a close visit by a beast as long as the boat. I am told that the pectoral fins were wider than the boat and its head was at least 4ft across. Photos of the beast came through on my phone on Wednesday morning. Those contemplating going spear fishing along this shore may think again!

Beach
Again the beaches seem to not be firing well. A few locals are getting amongst the Tailor early on Tuncurry Beach but reports are that only small numbers are being caught. Bream off Tiona last Monday afternoon were everywhere taking pilchard fillets and still the odd good Sand Whiting on most beaches.

Brad & Lisa Andrew
Great Lakes Tackle & Camping – Tuncurry
Ph: 6554 9541