Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Weekly Report 11/04/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Estuary
From all that has been reported this week there is still plenty of good catchs of extra large Flathead in the Lake. The Tuncurry Bridge in the channel has had plenty of fish caught this week and I am told that the flats around the back of Mather Island is also firing. Hawkesbury Prawns and Mullet Strips are the pick of the baits, while Ecooda Live Shrimp soft plastics are the pick of lures. The lake is full of Herring at the moment – great bait for those chasing Jewfish along the Tuncurry Breakwall or those wanting a live bait to chase Flathead. Nice Bream being landed around the back of Godwin Island within the oyster racks plus the racks in Beaky Bay are also fishing well. The Wallamba River up near the ski park at Failford is producing nice Flatties around the 40cm plus mark. Still a good supply of Blue Swimmer & Mudcrabs in the Lake and River. Blackfish are around the breakwall and Tuncurry Point taking cabbage or wire weed if you can source some.

Rock
A few Drummer caught near Burgess Beach last Saturday. Plenty of reports of Bream along the rocks taking crabs amongst a good berley mix. The Land based boys reported a few big size Sharks around Charlottes. Bonito still on the chew!

Offshore
Still miles of Dolphinfish at the FAD. Guys, please remember your boating etiquette at the FAD. I have plenty of complaints in store this week of boats trolling lures over the top of other boats rigs, boats backing onto the FAD within 5metres then hooking lures onto the ground tackle...the list goes on. This sort of activity only hinders fishing not only for yourself but all others as well. Outboards running right next to the FAD will only send the fish north!! A few Cobia caught during the week all in the 12-15kg mark on live bait. Sailfish are around out wide.

Beach
Not much to report here only that Tailor are getting stronger by the day. A few good reports from Tuncurry Beach for those fishing early morning or just on dusk.

As school holidays and Easter approach I always stress to our visitors who are staying with us to be prepared for the crowds and delays at all our boat ramps at all times of the day and night. Those that may only hook the boat up once a year for your annual holiday please remember protocol at the ramps and remember to prepare your boat and trailer well in advance before you hit the ramp to launch. Every holidays we witness plenty of fun and games at the ramps by persons that decide to unpack the car into the boat, untie the trailing straps, and take off the lights etc once they are down on the ramp with trailer wheels in the water!! So if this is what you may commonly do at your hometown ramp please adjust your routine for the busy holiday time. We have two good ramps, Forster Boat Harbour is the easiest ramp to use, particularly for those with larger glass boats. Tuncurry ramp has two ramps. One ramp has been upgraded and will take most tinnys, but is not recommended for heavier boats due to strong crosswinds and tidal flow. The other ramp is sand and will cater for 4wd vehicles with small tinnys or canoe/kayak launching. Other smaller ramps are located at Failford, Forster Little street and Forster Keys.

We will be open every day during the holiday period from 8.00am till late. Stop in and say hi and if we will be more than happy to assist with your fishing needs while visiting or help you out with all the local hot spots.

Brad & Lisa Andrew
Great Lakes Tackle & Camping – Tuncurry
Ph: 6554 9541
Locally family owned and operated for over 30 years!

sharkboi

Re: Weekly Report 11/04/14

Post by sharkboi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi Nicole,

see there's some good size flathead getting caught, I'm coming down soon from Brisbane and just curious what colours in plastics and hard bodies should i bring? Also for plastics, what tends to be the choice a curly tail grub or a fish minnow style plastic???? Don't want to bring to much tackle with me so any help would be very appreciated :)
What would be the main areas I should pin in the lake, I will have to get a map somehow aswel, all catch and release I don't eat fish, happy for a pic then chuck back in the drink. hope to hear back soon, thanks heaps

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Re: Weekly Report 11/04/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Shark, your best bet is to give Brad or Lisa a call at Great Lakes Tackle (02 6554 9541), they're the ones who give me the report info each week. I hope you have a great trip and catch a good croc!