Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
subeditor
Admin

Report 24/11/14

Post by subeditor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 am

Estuary: The main Tuncurry channel last weekend produced some great catches of Mulloway, with fish up to the 22lb mark. Anglers have reported that at least 5 fish up to this size have been landed (or lost at the wall while gaffing!) over the last week. Early in the week a few tourists visiting the area got amongst the Salmon at the entrance of the breakwall. Flathead continue to grow in numbers however the common size seems to be around the 48cm-55cm mark. These fish are in outstanding condition and are being caught on either soft plastics, Live Shrimp Plastics or the traditional drift with a whole whitebait, anchovie or strip Mullet fillet. Trumpter whiting can be found in the shallows near The Step plus along the edge of Haydens Spit early morning. A few guys have started to get a few Sand Whiting on Poppers as well. Crabs are on the go with reports of both Mud and Blueswimmer all being caught. Best Report is 8 swimmers and 3 muddies in a session. Watch your traps thou as I am told the ‘share farmers’ are back in town and this year are cutting floats off and throwing up on the bank then taking traps. If someone sees this type of activity get a photo of the boat and rego and report it to NSW Fisheries.
Whilst on Whiting fishing, again it is the time of the year whereby some anglers think it is great to empty the Lake of fish. It really “grates” at my nerves about the anglers that come into the shop and boast about how many Whiting they can catch in one day. Some reports are “I got 40 odd fillets today” or “I did alright this morning, get back there tomorrow and do it again”. I am not sure how one person can physically eat so many fillets of fish in one day, but these people seem to be able to, as they go back the next day and get more ! Unfortunally, this is the ugly side of some anglers and of recreational fishing. Guys and ladies, please only take what you need – leave some for other anglers and for our future generation – your children or grandchildren plus theirs. The town also relies on tourism to survive whether it is our shop, the service station, motels, restaurants etc we all need tourists to remain in business. Tourism will drop if fish stocks in the Lake diminish and the town will then fold! Plus, we as a industry are forever fighting Green/Left political groups about sustainable fishing and trying to stop them from introducing No take zones – behaviour like this will only add fuel to these political parties fire whereby they will get their way and ban fishing altogether!
Rock: A good few Bream still hanging around the normal accessible spots such as Janies, Burgess and Blueys.
Offshore: Jewfish have been on the chew both day and night. The CSIRO website is showing some nice warm water around out near the FAD which in turn has started to produce some very nice Dolphin Fish. Kingfish are taking metals while the bottom bouncers are getting a good mixed box of Flatties, Reds and Pigfish each outing.
Beach: A few Bream have been around on the northern end of Seven Mile near Janies with some Tailor and a few Salmon amongst them. Mulloway are being caught on the Tuncurry beach at the back of the Tip at night on worms while Back beach at Blackhead has some good quality Whiting also taking worms.
For those that do not know we will be relocating the store this weekend down Manning Street to the corner of Kent Street in the Bridgepoint Building. Come and visit our new store next week as I am sure we will have some super opening specials coming up!

Brad & Lisa Andrew
Great Lakes Tackle & Camping – Tuncurry
Ph: 6554 9541
2013 & 2014 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store

subeditor
Admin

Re: Report 24/11/14

Post by subeditor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:49 am

***Please do not reply to this fishing report with a question, as the contributor does not monitor the bulletin boards. If you have a question, please contact the contributor directly on the contact details at the end of the report.***