Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 3/3/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:15 am

Estuary: Autumn has hit and the days are getting shorter and cooler however the water temperature is holding in the 24 degree range keeping fish active. Flathead and Whiting are common with the majority of fish being caught on soft plastics along the flats on the run out tide. Wallis lake still has plenty of Whiting to go around and they are common under the Bridge on the Tuncurry side. More fish are being caught using beach worms in the deeper channel than lures. This week has seen the top of the tide early morning with the later part of the week fishing the best just on dawn. This time of the day has produced some good bream around the 1kg mark using unweighted baits in amongst the racks. Weed beds are also firing with plenty of good plate size bream in the shallows chasing prawns. The Breakwall is a bit hit and miss but is still producing a few legal Jewies along with some thumper bream in along the rocks. Further away from town the bass fishos have reported plenty of action in the upper Wallamba and Manning river stretches. Tiemco Soft Shell cicada lures are the gun lures at the moment with shop stocks not lasting long.

Rock: A couple of guys have had a bit of success with a few Drummer during the week but really not alot of action. Few tailor and Bream are there for the taking as well.

Offshore: Well things have seem to taper off offshore over the last week and all I can put it down to is the last of Cyclone Winston dishing up some crappy weather. Water temps have dropped to 22 degrees and that also seems to have put the fish off. However a few guys got out late in the week and did get a respectful feed to bring home. Mixed boxs of small reds, flatties around the 45cm mark and a couple of Pearl Perch topped it off. Bonito have gone to bed as have the Marlin. AS for bait fish there is heaps of Slimy Macks around along with some big yakkas.

Beach: Again the weather gods haven’t played the game right this week with very little activity on the beach. I have heard of a few Tailor being caught along with plenty of small Flathead – most however are throw backs!! One small Jew (87cm) was caught on Tuncurry beach on Tuesday night and other than that no other reports.

Brad & Lisa Andrew
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 6554 9541
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store
** This business is for sale**

Flathead01

Re: Report 3/3/16

Post by Flathead01 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi,
I fished the lake last weekend and managed to score just two small Flathead.
Seems things have really slowed.
Polaroiding the flats and throwing plastics of all makes yielded very little.
Normally it is easy to see flatties swimming away being spooked by the boat... Not last weekend.
I think the flattie summer season has drawn to a close.!! Lol.

muddy

Re: Report 3/3/16

Post by muddy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello,
I had the best day last Saturday ive had for ages on the flatties.

Bagged out, not one fish caught under 400 long