Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 3/6/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Estuary: Although we have been spoilt with fantastic weather, the cool winter temperatures have definitely taken hold. The estuary is still producing good numbers of Bream in the lower reaches as they prepare for their winter spawning. Lightly weighted soft plastics are a reliable go-to presentation, but for those wanting a bit more exciting fishing, a 50-70mm surface lure such as a Lucky Craft Sammy or Saku Snoop Dog worked over the oyster racks at high tide will produce some memorable action. The Ludrick fishing has been a bit hit and miss with a lot of smaller fish caught. One local caught 13 fish on Tuesday, only two of which were of legal size. Flathead catches have really slowed now as they bed down up river for the winter. Those that put in the time may still find the odd sleepy lizard using soft plastics fished nice and slow.

Rock: Rock fishing reports have been few and far between this week. Local fisherman Ricky scored a great feed of squid with some pushing 40cm. Squid love the calm clear seas that we’ve been spoilt with over the last few weeks and nearly any inshore reef areas have held good numbers. There has been the odd report of some longtail tuna still cruising the headlands and plenty of mack tuna and tailor in between. Bream and Drummer are also in good numbers for those keen to soak a bait or two, some good baits to try are crabs, cunjevoi and peeled prawns.

Offshore: After being spoilt with a cracking week on the snapper last week, the reds have slowed somewhat this week. There have still been decent catches of fish up to 3kg but no big fish like last week, again most fish have been caught in fairly shallow water using either 5” Boom Bait, Z-man or Berkley Gulp soft plastics. Others have found great success anchoring up, berleying and floating baits down the berley trail. Shane and the crew of Forster Sport and Game Fishing Charters found some great Kingfish early in the week fishing with both live baits and knife jigs.

Beach: The local beaches have really started to fire this week. Local legend John aka Mr.Nasty scored some great catches of tailor and Mulloway with his biggest Tailor measuring 87cm. By the way pilchards have been selling I would hazard to guess that John is not alone! There are still good bream to be found also and we had surprising reports of some nice whiting floating about along the beach as well.

Well that’s my first report done and dusted guys, I hope I can fill Brads shoes adequately and look forward to checking in and letting you all know what’s happening each week.

Luke Austin
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 6554 9541
Locally family owned and operated for over 30 years !
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store