Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 1/7/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:37 am

Estuary: Fishing reports from the estuary have been few and far between this week with a lot of anglers opting for the warmth of the fireplace or snuggly bed rather than the bitter cold that has engulfed the east coast over the last couple of weeks. Those that have ventured out report that the Bream fishing has slowed a little over the last week, good fish are still being caught, but it’s the seasoned Bream fisherman making up for most of the catches now. Many local fishermen swear by cooked prawns fished light along the breakwall. For me the key here is fishing light; baits of prawn, mullet, whitebait or pilchard will all do the trick when fished light. Once again Flathead reports have been good with fish over 80cm being taken regularly over the last week, particularly well up river in the Wallamba and other tributaries using soft plastics such as the 5” Boom Rattle Snake’s and Zman Streakz. The Luderick fishermen continue to come out of hibernation as bigger fish begin to push up the estuary, big fish are now being taken from Breckenridge Channel, the bridge as well as the ever faithful rock walls. Tailor of all sizes have also pushed into the estuary now with good fish being taken around the bridge and off the breakwalls. Mulloway catches have been ticking along and I’m sure a lot more are caught than the amount reported! Big soft plastics such as the Kokoda Flash Shad or live Tailor seem to be doing the trick.

Rock: As I said last week, it’s a wonderful time of the year to be venturing to the local rocks for a fish. Good catches of Bream, Tailor, Luderick and Black drummer have continued all week. Throw into this a scattering of XL Australian Salmon, a couple of Blue Groper and the odd Squid and its easy to see why so many anglers get so excited about the winter rock season. Lures such as the Samaki Torpedo V2 Spinners are the best choice for chasing Tailor and Salmon, and baits of Pilchard are hard to beat.

Offshore: Cold, windy days have resulted in a fairly quiet offshore scene. Those that have ventured out in the not so comfortable conditions have reported good catches of Snapper in close (less than 25m deep) and out wider the Teragalin have showed up in good numbers for those fishing early morning or evening. This weekend looks like it should be fantastic for a fish outside so it will be interesting to see what eventuates.

Beach: The Beaches have continued with the productive theme from last week. Bream, Tailor, Salmon and Mulloway making for some great fishing. Jainey’s corner and 7 Mile Beach have featured prominently in reports from anglers chasing Bream and Tailor. A local fisherman was lucky enough to have a great little session casting 7” Zman Jerk Shadz into a gutter at a ‘secret spot’ for school Mulloway up to 90cm. Hearing this report definitely got me thinking of what I might get up to over the weekend!

Well that’s about it for this week, the forecast for this weekend is promising. Hopefully lots of sunshine, light winds and calm seas will make for some perfect fishing conditions. Get out there, have fun and stay safe.

Luke Austin
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 02 6554 9541
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store

DeanLuke94

Re: Report 1/7/16

Post by DeanLuke94 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi
I am headin to forster for the weekend.
just wondering if you knew or know of any local fishos who could take me out for a day willing to help with costs
thank you