Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 24/10/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Estuary: The consistency that anglers have enjoyed for the last few weeks seems to have dwindled a little this week. Anglers proficient in the use of lures seem to still be getting a good lot of fish, the bait side of things has definitely slowed though. The best option is to pump some nippers/yabbies either drift with them on a running sinker rig or even float them unweighted into the oyster leases – a sure way to snag a Bream or two. In all honesty though I think the fishing reports coming from the estuary would be totally different if the wind would ease for more than half a day at a time!

Rock: The local ledges are finally being blessed with bait again, with the bait will come the fish. There have only been a few reports of the odd Kingfish being taken so far but it won’t be long until the Mack Tuna and their more desirable relatives show up!

Beaches: The local beaches have proven to be a hard gig this week. I have heard of a few small Bream and Whiting being taken on worms but the sweep along most of the beaches has made fishing difficult. Local angler Beau did the hard yards late one evening and scored a nice Mulloway of 12.5kg on a live Mullet.

Offshore: Once again the weather gods have been far from friendly to the local offshore brigade this week. Those lucky enough to have a day off or ‘chuck a sickie’ on the good days have found plenty of Snapper and Pearl Perch. The fish seem to be a little slow to start and the key to success is definitely anchoring up and burleying. It may take a good half hour of trying but patience will pay off in the form of some nice reds. Baits of choice seem to be Mullet fillets, Squid and PRAWNS!!! I was silly enough to ignore the NE winds that have consistently blown over the last few days and decided to punch out the bar for a look this morning, it was sloppy as can be and not very comfortable at all. After a half a dozen drifts and a few Flathead I was too green about the gills to keep trying! Happy to say that there’s a few Flatties out there too (and some free human based burly)!

Enjoy your weekend.
Happy Fishing!

Luke Austin.
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 02 6554 9541
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store