Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 2/2/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Estuary: Unfortunately, this slight southerly combined with the big moon and accompanying tides has made things a little tougher on the fishing front. There is still some fantastic fishing to be had though, the nice high tides are perfect for a flats session as the fish move into the shallows gorging themselves on the feed that they can’t normally get to. Flathead, Bream and Whiting will all be actively feeding in the shallows as soon as the water is deep enough for them to get up in there (6 inches or so!), hammering the area with surface lures, shallow divers or plastics is sure to work a treat. The other exciting type of fishing you can make the most of with these nice high tides is chasing the Kingfish that have decided to call the estuary home. Throwing surface poppers or floating lightly weighted live baits about on the top of the tide is awesome fun, particularly if you can see the fish chasing the lures! Those that are most likely to struggle with the big tides are those drifting baits along the drop offs. If you want to persevere with this technique try to get out of the main waterway, into the areas that see a bit less flow so that you can set up a nice easy drift.

Beach and Rock: The local beaches have been fishing ok considering the wind and swell. Most beaches have some fishable formations on them and are holding decent numbers of Tailor, Bream and Whiting. While I have not heard of any Mulloway being caught off the beaches over the past week, given the amount of fish holding along the break wall at the moment I would have to assume they are along our beaches too. The rock scene is really starting to fire now, while I haven’t heard of any Longtail Tuna being caught yet, there have been Mack Tuna, Bonito, Kingfish and even small Black Marlin all cruising along the rocks within casting distance… time to get live baiting I think!

Offshore: Offshore fishing can be red hot at this time of the year. Up to a couple of days before this super moon that we are experiencing at the moment the daytime reef fishing was great with some great catches of Snapper and Teraglin. With the moon so bright a late afternoon/evening session is often the only way to go. There are Mahi Mahi about the FAD but unfortunately most are barely legal. Other pelagic species are really starting to fire now with good numbers of Black Marlin hanging about in close along with Mack Tuna, Bonito and even the odd random Yellowfin Tuna and Spotty Mackerel! Over the next few weeks things should really start to heat up!

Have a great weekend!

Luke Austin
Great Lakes Tackle
Ph: 02 6554 9541
1/7-9 Manning St, Tuncurry
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store