570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 31/12/16

Postby Nicole Penfold » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:45 pm

The reports came in on Thursday of spottys up in an area east of mud and st Helena out to towards the Sandhills.so of we went Friday to see where they were exactly, the north westerly was quite light and there were about 10 boats in the area looking as well but I did not see a fish feeding at all and no bait on the screen and not a bird in the sky,except for the deeper water towards the Sandhills where there were lots of bonito flying all over the place.
So decided to go towards the Sandhills where the schoolies have been,managed a few undersize schoolies on the way to the small sand hill and nothing else ,decided to anchor up have lunch catch a few whiting and wait for the outgoing tide to start running,around 12 noon it was time to head back to see if anything was going to rise and had the diving boards out within minutes of going past the yellow marking the entrance to the blue hole we got smashed with a couple of extra large spottys one was close to 90cm and then a few popped up in 23 ft of water in the same area a few bonito were smashing bait ,but that was it... never saw anything else come up,the wind started to blow and we came back thru all the feeding bonito schools and only spotted 4 spottys swimming past for the rest of the trip back,
I have been asked by many readers on the type of chrome lures I use for spotty fishing and I am posting a photo of the ones I had made 34 grams .which I find simple and easy especially with one hook rather then trebles.

IMG_20161129_105705.jpg

20161230_120743_001.jpg

IMG_0870_2092.jpg

Chu

Re: Report 31/12/16

Postby Chu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Went out this morning to Scarborough reef to take advantage of the beautiful calm conditions. The activity was slow for the first 2 hours with only undersized fish. Then in quick succession, a 78cm Mulloway and a nice 1.2m gummy. It started to get warm so it was back home, happy to have a feed for the next few days!

Days like this morning, makes me question the strategy of moving to a different location when the action is slow versus staying put and just wait.

sperok

Postby sperok » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:41 pm

A few days on the water to get the best of the weather ..yesterday was glorious and the sweetlip and squire were on the chew at green island with the early morning outgoing tide managed 3 nice fish, trolled out to the small boat channel for some whiting and was the only boat there no activity for mackerel on the way the whiting were thick and excellent quality ,no surface action at all at the start of the rous for any mackerel.wind came up pretty strong yesterday afternoon so thought i would spend the night and see if the squire were going to be on this morning but the damn north wester was blowing all night and in the morning and the prawn trawlers worked all night so the water this morning was like mud 1 sweetlip and one squire around 50cm which i dropped next to the boat,there were a few reports of spottys and schoolies from the front of the sandhills all the way to sharkspit and out towards mud in the 53 ft mark a few nice catches today so if you can get over to moreton and up the western side it looks like the spottys are going to be there this year,lots of bluebait in the last few weeks on that side of the bay and it looks like the spottys have found them.

sperok

Postby sperok » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Finally the weather came good and off to the western and northen bay to see where these spottys are,well lets say there are good news and bad news,the bad news is i did not see anything apart from some bonnito on the surface for two days and today beeing like glass i got sore eyes looking for some movemment on the surface nothing at all and i would have expected them up this week,the good news is the schoolies were in excellent numbers in front of the small sandhill from a line of the yellow ,marking the blue hole entrance to the first yellow infront of the big sandhill and they were only in 28 to 32 ft of water ,they were there for the past two days so if you can get there i am suer they will be around ,one other think put the paravane further back they were taking the spoons much deeper but stick to that depth otherwise its grinner heaven in shallower water,the whiting were thick in the small boat channel and at the sandhills and the good news so were the tiger squid especially at dusk and dawn.
I hope the spottys dont do what they did a few years back and stay out of the bay because lots a beeing caught on the gold coast shallow reefs and that normally use to happen after they came into the bay.i have to say i have heard a few reports of them beeing caught in front of raby bay but have not seen any photos .lets hope this settled week and the water temp already up to 81 today and the water clarity gets them to get up and feed .lets hope and keep looking.
Attachments
IMG_0885_2103.jpg
IMG_0884_2102.jpg
IMG_0883_2101.jpg
IMG_0882_2100.jpg

sperok

Postby sperok » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:03 pm

I forgot to mention the size of the two 6 ich spottys that decided to jump on the spoons in the middle of the bay in 60 ft deep water,so obviously the early november spottys must have had there babies .i have only once before seen that size spottys in the bay.hope there parents are somewhere in the bay.

Return to “MORETON BAY”