570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 31/12/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:45 pm

The reports came in on Thursday of spottys up in an area east of mud and st Helena out to towards the Sandhills.so of we went Friday to see where they were exactly, the north westerly was quite light and there were about 10 boats in the area looking as well but I did not see a fish feeding at all and no bait on the screen and not a bird in the sky,except for the deeper water towards the Sandhills where there were lots of bonito flying all over the place.
So decided to go towards the Sandhills where the schoolies have been,managed a few undersize schoolies on the way to the small sand hill and nothing else ,decided to anchor up have lunch catch a few whiting and wait for the outgoing tide to start running,around 12 noon it was time to head back to see if anything was going to rise and had the diving boards out within minutes of going past the yellow marking the entrance to the blue hole we got smashed with a couple of extra large spottys one was close to 90cm and then a few popped up in 23 ft of water in the same area a few bonito were smashing bait ,but that was it... never saw anything else come up,the wind started to blow and we came back thru all the feeding bonito schools and only spotted 4 spottys swimming past for the rest of the trip back,
I have been asked by many readers on the type of chrome lures I use for spotty fishing and I am posting a photo of the ones I had made 34 grams .which I find simple and easy especially with one hook rather then trebles.
IMG_20161129_105705.jpg
20161230_120743_001.jpg
IMG_0870_2092.jpg

Chu

Re: Report 31/12/16

Post by Chu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Went out this morning to Scarborough reef to take advantage of the beautiful calm conditions. The activity was slow for the first 2 hours with only undersized fish. Then in quick succession, a 78cm Mulloway and a nice 1.2m gummy. It started to get warm so it was back home, happy to have a feed for the next few days!

Days like this morning, makes me question the strategy of moving to a different location when the action is slow versus staying put and just wait.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:41 pm

A few days on the water to get the best of the weather ..yesterday was glorious and the sweetlip and squire were on the chew at green island with the early morning outgoing tide managed 3 nice fish, trolled out to the small boat channel for some whiting and was the only boat there no activity for mackerel on the way the whiting were thick and excellent quality ,no surface action at all at the start of the rous for any mackerel.wind came up pretty strong yesterday afternoon so thought i would spend the night and see if the squire were going to be on this morning but the damn north wester was blowing all night and in the morning and the prawn trawlers worked all night so the water this morning was like mud 1 sweetlip and one squire around 50cm which i dropped next to the boat,there were a few reports of spottys and schoolies from the front of the sandhills all the way to sharkspit and out towards mud in the 53 ft mark a few nice catches today so if you can get over to moreton and up the western side it looks like the spottys are going to be there this year,lots of bluebait in the last few weeks on that side of the bay and it looks like the spottys have found them.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Finally the weather came good and off to the western and northen bay to see where these spottys are,well lets say there are good news and bad news,the bad news is i did not see anything apart from some bonnito on the surface for two days and today beeing like glass i got sore eyes looking for some movemment on the surface nothing at all and i would have expected them up this week,the good news is the schoolies were in excellent numbers in front of the small sandhill from a line of the yellow ,marking the blue hole entrance to the first yellow infront of the big sandhill and they were only in 28 to 32 ft of water ,they were there for the past two days so if you can get there i am suer they will be around ,one other think put the paravane further back they were taking the spoons much deeper but stick to that depth otherwise its grinner heaven in shallower water,the whiting were thick in the small boat channel and at the sandhills and the good news so were the tiger squid especially at dusk and dawn.
I hope the spottys dont do what they did a few years back and stay out of the bay because lots a beeing caught on the gold coast shallow reefs and that normally use to happen after they came into the bay.i have to say i have heard a few reports of them beeing caught in front of raby bay but have not seen any photos .lets hope this settled week and the water temp already up to 81 today and the water clarity gets them to get up and feed .lets hope and keep looking.
Attachments
IMG_0885_2103.jpg
IMG_0884_2102.jpg
IMG_0883_2101.jpg
IMG_0882_2100.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 am

Lots of schoolies and spottys hope banks

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Ahhhhhh they are up and feeding sorry for the very short report earlier did it on my phone (scary ) for me.the spotties and schoolies were all thru the area around the hope banks and east of green towards harries.
with the outgoing tide this morning they were up and feeding on the lee side and this afternoon they were on the southern side of the hope banks.
the schoolies were thick as well as were the 6 inch spotties.
to get to the spotties i ad to get the paravane only 20 ft behind the boat as the schoolies were smashing the spoon every time.
they were not easy to get on the surface but managed 3 big buggers in the slugs which was lots of fun.
the water temp was perfect at 78 degrees and the water was clear as well happy days and the weather looks great.
the squid and whiting were also thick at the small boat channel.today..and it was a glorious day.
Attachments
IMG_0890_2108.jpg
IMG_0889_2107.jpg
IMG_0888_2106.jpg
IMG_0887_2105.jpg
IMG_0886_2104.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Nice day the fish were up early the earlybirds got the spotties south eastern side of the hope banks and then went quite.they popped up in small groups all over the place even close in to king and green islands.i have to say the schoolies were still in good numbers but i have never seen that many 6 inch spottys and schoolies ever i think i released 18 of them today.
Makes for a very good and long season when these babies grow up.
Water was not as clean today maybe the reason they were not staying up for long close in the trawlers worked all night and morning.
Interesting how the mackerel are full of whitebait on this side of the bay but frog mouthpillies on the western side of moreton.as long as they stay around .....all the boats seemed to catch a feed today so thats all we want....

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:37 pm

The norht westerly was a pain in the butt.... ,our friends that were with us had a great day plenty of school mackerel lots of baby ones and a couple of big spottys.the trouble is the tides are getting bigger and the water is getting dirtier so they are not staying up as long wich is hard to get close to them to have a flick with a slug.,i hope that a few fish stay up for all the boats out there tommorow but i have a feeling it might be hard work.
The whiting were again in good numbers and the fact we could just drop the pick and catch 40 plus whiting in one spot tells you how many of these great eating fish there are around, i decided to go to my favourite spot in the small boat channel to clean and fillet my whiting and show our friends how to catch squid and within a few minutes we had our first squid in the boat,about 5 minutes later another turns up but is acting very strange darting and backing off the jig and all of a sudden he takes off at 100 miles an hour nearly on top of the water and behind the boat there is a yellow fin king fish around the 60 to 80 lb mark circling no wonder the poor squid took off ,by the time i rigged a whiting he was gone never to return.
so great day on the bay with good friends (wont mention the tip of my favouite penn rod snapping after the two diving boards crossed) ofcourse its always your old favourite rod that breaks.
so happy australia day and hope everyone gets some fish on the barbie..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 am

Spottys up 2 miles west of the sandhills

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 pm

After reading Spero's update about the schoolies and grey macks last night I headed out this morning, catching my first mackerel on a paravane (60cm schoolie), 6-7 of the small ones, lost a probably legal schoolie as I went to lift it out of the water (not sure if my technique needs refinement or if I was just unlucky) and then finished up by landing a 78cm grey mack after some advice from Spero (first time meeting in person - many thanks Spero, did you hear me bellowing/singing your name when I landed the grey mack from a couple of miles away ....?). Also caught (and kept) a small shark and had a 2+m one on that lept out of the water and put on a great aerial display before straightening the ganged hooks a couple of minutes later. Great day on the water and now I have the confidence/experience to know that in my tiller steer tinny that I am trolling at the right speed and as silly as it may sound, I now know when I have had a hit. Bring on next weekend!!

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:27 am

i am so glad you had a great day .and yes from on watch out fish ,i am sorry to say the reports are disappearing after putting them on the page ,dont know whats happening as the broad macks report is gone as last nights one as well ,try to sort it out ...