East Coast Marina
570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Wallace

Re: Report 30/1/17

Post by Wallace » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Fished from 1000-1430. Went to Harry's and stopped at Hope Banks on the way. Lots of whiting but ALL of them are 2-3 cm undersize. Caught 5+ snapper at Harry's all around the 30cm mark. Had a ~70cm mackerel speed past the boat when we were leaving hit a lure and dropped it again..... no dinner tonight but overall still a great day on the water will try again tomorrow.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Nice day on the bay the whiting were thick in the small boat passage and the smaller ones were of the chain banks the bigger fish were on the southern side of the small boat channel (by the way there is no limmit on diver whiting) so if you want to keep a dozen for food you can and then decide to keep the big ones only.)
the squid were also in the small boat channel but a little finicky we managed a couple so it was good to see them back in the deeper holes and now with the smaller tides and less wind the water has cleared up compared to last week.
the school mackerel were all babies again today but managed a couple of watson bonnito on the way home,did not get over to look for spottys but i would think its a perfect times and tides and water temperature this week end if you can get over towards the sandhills.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 am

As most readers would have know by now i dont recommend many items apart from ones i actually know help us catch a few fish,and as readers of the fishing monthly magazine would have seen i was asked to trial some whiting jigs from black magic,and i have to tell you if you have not tried these little rigs its worth a try,since i have been using them my costs of live worms has halved as you only need a much smaller ammount of bait for the size hook on the rigs and amazingly 99% of all the whiting caught are hooked on the side of the mouth,which is odd as the hooks are so much smaller then the red long shank i have always used.so to put it in numbers yesterday with 3 friends on the boat they only used 8 worms to catch 60 whiting which great value,i only fished with pieces of the berkley sandworms (green) and no freshworms and boated 20 ,so it just makes it a little cheaper to get a very nice feed of diver whiting without breaking the bank..

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

Hi went prawning on the 20-2-17 and got a bucket full at Karragarra and Power Lines of medium size prawns they are getting bigger made some prawn sushi rolls Yum. easy prawning stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Well still waiting for the winds to calm down a little,so we can get out there to see if these little spottys are still hanging around,we will just have to wait for the weather gods to do there thing.had to go to the old home town for my nieces wedding in barwon heads and decided to go for a drive to my favourite growing up place of fishing Queenscliff wow it brought back so many memmories ,the old pier is still standing and judging by the ammount of ink on the old wooden boards they are still caching thousands of squid,and the old warfs around the corner at swan bay have competely collapsed and rotten to the core ,that bad the old fishing co op is in ruins,i remmeber my dad using a net to collect all the mullet roe and mullet melts they would throw away when cleaning the fish in the early 60s (no such luck these days they sell for a fortune).
and i have to say the best part of the trip apart from all the views and memmories was an 92 year old fisherman walking back from a mornings fishing for gar on the long jetty ,when i asked him how his mornings fishing was and in the old fisherman dry wit he says to me "looks like i will be eating the bait again today".
great place great memories and still great fish and chip shops everywhere,,,,,but thats all i miss from good old victoria, it was freezing and was very happy to be back home in brisbane and close to moreton bay.