570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 2/3/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:13 pm

Its been a while waiting to get onto the bay and with the time spent visiting Victoria it was great to get out the last few days .pity the winds were not as calm as predicted on Wednesday but hid behind green island on the north western side and picked up 12 unbelievable size whiting couple of flounder and 3 big garfish.
Today was a little better but it was not 5 knots and wind against the tide was not a day to anchor for whiting but the mackerel were on the bite early with all 3 species available just east of the hope banks broad school mackerel and a spotty so a very enjoyable day and a nice cuttlefish to give us a real seafood platter tonight.
The water temp is perfect but the big tides are churning up the water again,so we will have to be patient to see where the spotty turn up ,but a feed trolling is better then nothing.
Spero1.JPG
Spero2.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 2/3/17

Post by sperok » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:07 pm

A few nice days out in the bay and looks like the spottys were nowhere to be seen but the good news was the schoolies are plentiful if you dont get sick and tired releasing 20 small ones to one good one but it is a great sign for winter schoolie season,the whiting were in great numbers especially on friday in the small boat passage and some very large fish were at the junction of the rous and small boat passage saturday not as good but still plenty for the whiting master and i
Lazaret fished well on friday night seeing it was an outgoing afternoon tide with a south easterly and the sweetlip were thick as were good 40cm squire as well we caught 5 of each which made us very popular at home .the only thing was the family of dolphins arrived and every thing shut down in the late afternoon and evening but plenty of fish on board to be very happy.
the schoolies are in front of the small boat channel in 23 ft mark all the way to the first green towards peel.
so if the weather hold its worth a troll but be prepared for a lot of catch and release .and they really came on 2nd hour of the incomming tide.
ps .on a funny note the whiting master kept swearing at the dolphins and wondering when they sleep seeing they need to breath and ofcourse google came to the rescue wich we had no idea and that is they sleep half their brain at a time ..how unbelievable is that ,would be great if we could do that...good fishing

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:41 pm

plenty of whiting st smallbboat channel on the banks southern side and plenty of schoolies at the sandhills 23 ft just wide of the go slow yellow entrance to blue hole.and if are chasing bonnito and tuna plenty there as well I'm deeper water front of big sandhill .nice out here waiting for the squid to turn up.this evening

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Nice few days on the bay, glad i was able to let you all know the schoolies were in good numbers at the sandhills as were the watsons bonito and the tuna especially on saturday afternoon they were chopping for hours in very close to the anchorage in front of the big sandhill.
The schoolies were on with the outgoing tide of the southern bank of the small sandhill from the yellow go slow in front of the entrance to the blue hole,saw a few boats with pillies did not see many caught bit they were hitting the spoons hard and again a few undersize but som nice fish amongst them.
If you an ex victorian and like small shark for a feed of flake there were plenty along the bank in 15 ft depth just by floating out a pillie under a float.
The whiting were in all the weed banks in 8 to 9 ft of water in front of the small sandhill as well.
The tiger squid came on at dusk but only for a short period of time and again at dawn this morning and again only for a short time but we managed 10 nice size ones over the two days,the weather held nice and looking at the size of the schoolies looking forward to a good season again,had a good look today and yesterday afternoon for spotties but i could not see one and some baitballs were up and the tuna were the only fish smashing them.i am hoping they have not gone ...as the water temp was 76 today and it was like glass so they should have been up if they were there.
Attachments
IMG_0932_2132.jpg
IMG_0930_2137.jpg
IMG_0926_2135.jpg
IMG_0925_2134.jpg
IMG_0924_2133.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Interesting report came from a friend who went fishing for a couple of hours on the western side of green on saturday morning to get out of the wind ,fishing with small cuttlefish picked up 2 black king fish around 5 to 7 kilos .and a couple of large parrot.now that is a great catch on the western side of green island,and the other report was lots of prawns at redland bay , but i was told hundreds of boats were there netting them.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm

The water is cleaner and some spottys have shown up with the tuna on the eastern side of green island the spottys are big fish ,mixed in are lots of schoolies as well lots of small ones but many 55 plus as well ,all the way to the outside of st helena .
Attachments
IMG_0938_2142.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Well they were there again today the schoolies were around but lots of small ones managed schoolies and two spotties both on the eastern side of green ,picked one big spotty on a floating pillie anchored fishing for squire wich were also on an hour after the start of the run out both around 40 and 45 so good day ,the only problem was the ammount od weed floating around it was painful to stop start every couple of minutes clearing the weed of the diving boards.but it was worth it..it worth having a troll from well inside green to the yellow at the southern end of green to the huybers light ,i would not be supprised if they are all the way to peel as this time last yrear the schoolies and broads were in good numbers in front of the lazaret.
I dont plug many items but i have been using berkley cherywood ultra light 5' 6" for 15 years since i found them in the states and canada ,and i think they are a fantastic rod for whiting especially with a 1000 size reel ultra light combo for the kids and adults as well.been asking berkley and everyone i meet to get these rods into australia with no luck,well last week by chance i found them and watertower bait and tackle have ordered them in so if anyone wants a fantastic whiting rod get one you will love them..and they are fairly cheap around the 30 to 35 dollar mark..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Couple of days out on the bay saturday was terrible blowing its head of 15 to 18 and more south then east ,so hiding on the north western side of green was the only option ,anchored up in 4 ft of water just of the sandbank and had a blast 8 really nice size whiting to sweetlip and a squire all 35 to 38cm lots of fun on whiting rods and hooks and the variety did not stop flounder,moses perch,bream,garfish ,parrot not of any size apart from the garfish wich were huge,but the vaiety was amazing .
Overnight at green and of this morning for a troll between green and king (forgot to say two crab pots in overnight score zero) but the weed was terrible had alook around the eastern side of green again the weed was too much ,so of to the small boat channel for a squid fish,had the small boat with us so only one rod in and picked up two nice schoolies on the northern side of the hope bank beacon and a couple of small ones as well ,not a squid to be seen in the small boat channel left and trolled back to green but nothing at all the good thing was the squid are back at green picked uo 4 nice ones in 5 ft of water on the eastern side,overall a good two days pity about the weed for all the boat trying to catch a mackerel today,.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Received a good report from one of our readers and a damn good fisherman Mitch who had a great catch on Tuesday at the rainbow channel a good looking Spaniard.tuna and a spotty he looks very happy as any fisherman would be with that sort of catch,heard also some good catches of schoolies in the area so rainbow channel could be worth a try,looking back over the last few years there have been a few Spaniards in the bay this time of year,especially the area in front of the Lazaret gutter.
Attachments
Resized_20170328_120405.jpg
Resized_20170328_120327.jpg