570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 17/5/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 am

What a day on the bay I thought Monday was nice but Tuesday was glorious as soon as the south westerly eased and it went glassy calm.the whiting were in plentiful numbers and very big fish in 2 to 3 ft of water on the southern side of the small boat channel opposite where the Rous and small boat channel meet 24 boats in area no bigger then a couple of football fields but the whiting were thick.
The school mackerel were around but no great numbers we managed a couple on the way out between Green Island and Hyubers light and a nice one on the entrance to the small boat passage,but did not look anywhere else.
The tides were not in our favor for squire but the squid were in great numbers at Green Island again the whiting master was in his glory today and as you can see by the photo needed a rest on the way home.
Received a good report with photos from some really nice squire caught at Goat Island yesterday evening on the southern yellow in 18 ft of water,and lots of sandies in front of horseshoe bay in 16 ft of water.
Looks like today is our last good day out for this week.

IMG_20170516_114329.jpg
IMG_0962_2166.jpg
IMG_0960_2164.jpg
IMG_0940_2144.jpg
IMG_0939_2143.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 17/5/17

Post by sperok » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Another glorious day on the water ,had to go for a spin to see what was around again,couple of friends went to the whiting grounds and the fish were there again in big numbers the school mackerel were there again but only managed a couple to release the squire fishing was not much fun as the predicted wind from the north (with incomming tide ) turned into a southerly and was no fun at all managed one keeper ,but had one of the best days ever of catch and release squid fishing days at green island ,quite odd as you could go for half an hour without seeing one and then there would be 2 to 3 attacking the squid jig,anyway managed not to ink the boat or myself ,not bad probably released over 15 plus squid..
Attachments
IMG_0972_2174.jpg
IMG_0971_2173.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Wow finally a week of unbelievable weather ...love this time of year all we need to find out now is where the schoolies will be schooling up ,past years its been in the front of the lazaret gutter ,he sharkspit area and the go slow area in front of the sandhills.but this year it seems that they are on the westernside of the bay they are from wellington point wide of the huybers light and all the way past st helena in around 22 to 30 ft depth seems to be where they are feeding and also on the drop off from harrys to the hope banks .but east side of green island seems to be the place to get a feed more often..aat the momment.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Wow what a day.fog lifted and it feels like summer.the school mackerel are showing up at sharkspit mixed in with lots of bonnito this morning ,so while we have glassy conditions its the place to be .if you would like fresh mackerel for dinner.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat May 27, 2017 3:48 pm

A few nice days out on the bay friday was a glorious day the squid around green played there part but were not aggressive as they have been and only would take the jig far from the boat did not see one come close as they usually do ,i found the red prawn and orange prawn emeraldas worked really well as did the silver and white cloth jigs,but the pike in the real shallow water make a mess and when you are paying 14 to 18 dollars it hurts ,thats why i am using more and more of the nudes (no cloth).
the squire were of nice size managed 3 nice fish and dropped a couple ,whats funny the ones you drop always feel bigger,but 40 cm plus are lovely eating fish and they love those whiting heads,interesting they hit on the slack tide and i had taken all the weight of wich i dont normaly do.
i gave the school mackerel a try on friday and today but apart from lots of weed the water with the big tide the water has become dirty again close in and the water on the hope banks was a terrible colour,as mentionned in last report the school mackerel and bonnito are in big nunmbers at shark spit and the frontof the small sandhill,incomming tide at shark spit and outgoing at the small sandhill.
Reports of the whiting in the rous came thru again and a couple of friends who fished there this morning and yesterday said the quality and numbers were as good as early in the week.
Weather looks good for a few days on and off so a few fresh fish on the table looks promising.
Attachments
IMG_0974_2180.jpg
IMG_0973_2179.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Sun May 28, 2017 10:20 am

what a prawning season one off the best cant wait to get into fishing again in the Great Morton Bay keep them reports coming be lost without them cheers stanau

Flattyfisho

Post by Flattyfisho » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

Awesomse stuff stanau and spero would like to see some action shots of whiting master hauling them in

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Gee nice day on monday ,lots of crabs from all reports in deeper water of st helena and peel island and reports are still comming in of good crabbing from most of the pro crabbers and by all the crabs in the shops it does seem like the sandies are going to be around all they way thru.
The whiting looked like being a little scarce this morning and the marine parks were making sure we were all in deeper water and not in the green zone,we did not stay long as my starter motor decided not to work anymore so had to jump start it and come home early,but the good thing was we picked up two very nice schoolies on the way home on the southern side of the hope banks towards the huybers light,wich was a bonus.
Hopefully boat get fixed in the next few days and we can get out ,but the weather does not look too good..
Attachments
IMG_0981_2183.jpg
IMG_0980_2182.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 am

Received a great photo from a friend of the fishing reports who looks very happy with himself..only one question mark i did not see any on my front porch......hope they tasted good.
so much for the old myth about sandies in the bay in the months with R in them ,from all reports this year the pro crabbers are getting plenty at the moment and looking at all the seafood places they are plentiful,might have to try again for a few myself..
Attachments
image2.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:02 am

The cold months have arrived and the squid season has started very well ,i am findind again this year the orange and dark red prawn patterns working very well as is the all silver colour as well and also 3.0 to 3.5 gm weight the best ,even small squid are going for the large jigs,i have gone off using the cloth ones and going more for the nude ones as it seems to be costing a fortune with the mess the squid make of the cloth ones after a few trips,and finding they work as well as any of the cloth covered ones.
I have to laugh when reading that its a good idea to hold the squid in the water till they stop inking to bring them in,i hate to say they dont stop inking and they dont run out of ink,they only use a miniscule ammount to mix with water to spurt out and they have plenty in reserve to use when they need to ,while the have water in there bodies or are able to suck water in they are able to squirt ink ,does not matter how long you wait,and how many times the have squirted,if you are using a net they will stop when you have lifted them out as they cant get any more water in ,i find lifting them out and holding them between the head and the body and turning them upside down they release the water and cant squirt anymore ink,just be careful with this method as they can bite if the get there head around..
also i am finding this year we are catching many in very shallow water especially at green island 2 to 3 ft but not close to the boat .so have fun and if you get inked dont worry to much it means you have fresh squid for dinner..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:00 pm

It was a summers day on the water today ,as soon as the south wester eased it was very warm and glassy ,the squid were hard to get managed 3 but it was hard work at green island the mackerel were also hard to get managed a reallygood size schoolie but dropped 2 others and picked up a nice tuna to make my day and keep my wife happy as she loves grilled tuna and tuna spaghetti.
they were all around the front of the small boat channel in 30 ft .
Attachments
IMG_0985_2187.jpg
IMG_0984_2186.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:42 am

Well it feels like jail time at the momment waiting for the winds and rain to ease and to get out in the bay,8 days without fishing is not good at all,only the vegi garden loved it as did the old lawn ,one thing at least all the small jobs on the old boat got done .so it looks like a very small window for a days fishing maybe,lets hope.
recieved some info regarding a family oriented fishing event i thought i would pass on for some fun for the little ones ,below is the info i have or you can contact sally on 33968161..for more information.

The 2017 Moreton Bay Fishing Classic will be held from Sunday July 16th – Sunday 23rd, and we are expecting 500 competitors with a strong junior involvement. Throughout the week there will be daily weigh-ins tallied on a running leader board and live entertainment, however the main event is over the weekend of Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd July from 11am until late, with pop-up stalls, live music on our waterfront lawn, fishing simulators, kids casting lessons from the pontoons, a live fish tank and of course the final weigh-ins and $25K of prizes awardedll.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:26 am

Out wide of the hy buers light towards hope banks as many school mackerel as you need to catch mixed in with bonnito 28 ft depth they are on right now sat morning 8 am

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Thought i would fix my report this morning as i did it on my little phone ,the school mackerel were in unbelievable numbers this morning east of the hyubers light towards the southern tip of the hope banks,and they were in 28 to 30 ft of water and also lots of bonnito as well.
I finally stopped to try for some cuttlefish as one of our readers came over to say hi and he was dead on the money lots of cuttlefish and arrow squid in the 8 mt mark drifting east of the hyubers light as well with the jigs well down ,just of the bottom .i just wish there ink was not that thick .but they taste great so you just need to put up with it..
Hope the weather holds for anyone who can get out there in the morning,because today it was not 10 to 15 but dead calm and glassy...
Attachments
IMG_0996_2194.jpg
IMG_0995_2193.jpg
IMG_0994_2192.jpg
IMG_0993_2191.jpg
IMG_0991_2189.jpg