570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 22/6/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 pm

The weather has not been the best but there were windows of opportunity to get out for a fish.my friend Shane has been going out after work and getting a few schoolies ,so I decided today to get out there ,not much fun with the 17 knot south westerly's but when you know the fish are there the waves don't look as big.

The schoolies seem to be moving in between Green Island and the Huybers light as they were last year ,not thick but picked up a couple going a little further out so for all the readers who don't want to go out too far with the stronger breezes its not a bad spot in a south westerly .
The area out wide of Huybers seems to be holding most of the fish some small ones mixed in today and also picked up a little shark on the par vane today witch is a bonus if you like a little bit of flake(not the real gummy shark but it will do) .

The wind was good at green for squire with an outgoing tide but did not manage even one hit in two hours and interesting the squire have gone quite over the last week or so compared two a few weeks ago,received a lovely photo from Arnold with 4 really nice fish he caught behind green,he used fresh squid heads witch I told him it made me cry as I find the squid heads the best eating part of the squid ,obviously so do the squire.

The cuttlefish and arrow squid are still there and they seem to be easier to catch with a nice drift so I hope the winds hold of over the week end and you can get out for a fresh fish or two and the kids can get some ink on the boat... good fishing

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0997_2196.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 22/6/17

Post by sperok » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 pm

A really nice day on the bay today especially after the south westerly stopped.and the whole bay turned to glass.had a few friends with us today ,whiting master and his trusted builders luke and paul and they had a ball.
The schoolies were thick especially closer towards the hyubers light and with the last of the incomming ,out wide where they have been was not great till the tide change and then they were on there as well ,but we managed fish all the way fom between king and green islands all the way to the entrance to the small boat channel.
The cuttlefish and arrow squid were around and it was fun to see fisherman catch some for the first time ever,
The whiting are in very good numbers in the small boat channel north of the first floating yellow with the boys picking up around 60 lovely fish ,so all went home with plenty of fresh fish and with a lovely north east breeze we came home feeling like a summers day.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:16 pm

What a great weekend boats everywhere with kids and families and the fish were in plentiful numbers as well.
pictures tell a million words..lets hope we have these sort of days more often..good fishing
Attachments
IMG_1024_2203.jpg
IMG_1023_2202.jpg
IMG_1016_2212.jpg
IMG_1014_2211.jpg
IMG_1013_2210.jpg
IMG_1011_2209.jpg
IMG_1008_2207.jpg
IMG_1006_2205.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:45 pm

The summer weather continues and the fishing is as good as ever,the school mackerel season is getting better and judging by the amount of undersize fish around the 40 cm mark and lots of them i think around august september will be a bonanza.
the squire fishing has been also very good with good catches coming from all the shallow reefs around the bay islands and a good friend of the column, Bennie came past to say hi in the rous and had caught some nice fish at harrys on dusk,
the cuttlefish and arrow squid are in good numbers in the deeper water of wello and king and green island and the tiger squid are again in good numbers around green at high tide in very shallow water caught one the other day 40 cm lenth body.
the whiting size and quality is fantastic in the small boat channel all the way to the rous channel with lots of boats bagging enough for a nice feed,you had to look for them but once you were on them you could anchor up without drifting,a little tip when anchoring a little burley helps allot ,and keep an eye out where the dugongs are feeding normally lots of whiting there.but please be careful not to injure the dugongs.
it was good to see ken brown get into the schoolies the other day have known ken since the old days when i was at triplem fm104 30 years plus
and don/t forget the moreton bay fishing classic is coming up good way for the family and the kids have lots of fun.
Attachments
IMG_20170628_133025.jpg
IMG_20170628_064220.jpg
IMG_1026_2215.jpg
IMG_1025_2214.jpg

scrapperdog

Post by scrapperdog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi - how are you catching the schoolies - trolling or spinning?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Most of them trolling,but have been picking up a few floating out pillies as well aspecially around the 23 ft to 30ft depth east of green and the hyubers light. its just that they are moving around a bit at the momment so if you dont want to troll too long once i find where they are happy to put a pilly out.
there were also afew around the back of the boat during the week in really shallow water on the eastern side of green ..

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:50 pm

I got four schoolies around 58/59cm south of the Hope Banks yesterday arvo with my son Liam Spero. Thanks for the headsup on the general area in your reports - made our day. I'll flick you a photo via email :)

Flattyfisho

Post by Flattyfisho » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Good work and Kmcrossley and spero i have been trolling aroung lazaret has been quiet where are you guys catching

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:21 pm

We are really so lucky to have this bay and all these fish so close to home,the schoolies as everyone has seen are in really good numbers from the hyubers light out to the hope banks and all the way on the eastern side of green island around the 23 to 26 ft mark.the whiting were huge today with a fish around 32 cm that's a big whiting for the bay and as the tide turned to incoming it was like the school lunch bell went off ,plenty of them before but as soon as the tide turned you could have caught as many as you needed,the whiting master had to be stopped from catching anymore,
today i decided to see how close the big squid were in the shallows and ended up marooned for an hour,but caught 2 monsters in 2and half feet of water.
as as you have read a good friend of the blog kelvin took out the little ones and looking at there faces how can you not be happy seeing these future little fisherman,it really makes my day ...well done little george and liam keep sending me the photos...
Attachments
Schoolies and crabs June 2017.jpg
Schoolies 29 June 2017.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg

Chu

Post by Chu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:15 pm

What a beautiful morning for a fish around Scarborough reef. There was a school of tailor chasing bait fish that did not come close enough to the boat for my lure to reach them. Still managed to catch one of them that wandered over to my bait.

The squires were all around too. I finally managed to catch my bag limit after 2 1/2 years of trying. The largest was about 55cm. I am one happy chappy!

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:31 pm

well done chu.now that you have done it once it becomes easier to do it again.yes another glorious day and nice arvo for some squire fishing at the southern part of the bay .there are a few boats lining up at green ,hyubers and artificial reel .and peel looks like getting a few boats around it as well..hope the weather holds for all the folk that can only go out on the week ends.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm

wow really nice days on the water lots and lots of boats out beeing the last of the school holidays and there was plenty of fish around.the school mackerel were not thick with these big tides but managed a couple on the way out this morning and there were many boats fishing foe whiting we stopped a little further back towards the yellow in the small boat channel anchored up and picked up 24 very nice size fish.
Brought my dughter and missus back to green and we had fun with some nice size tiger squid were not thick with the outgoing tide and again they were very shallow but after last weeks effort of being on the bottom for a while did not venture too close with the outgoing tide.
the squire came on eastern side of green on the change of the tide around 3.30 to 4.30 pm and managed 3 nice fish in the 45 cm range but dropped 3 more anyway back home for some tempura fish and chips.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Fishing on the bay in the last few days especially today was very nice whiting master and i decided on a few whiting and of we went towards the rous and small boat channel on the way we got smashed twice but no hook ups so no mackerel and the whiting were very slow in the morning with a slow incomming tide ,many boats looking for them and even where the dugongs were only scattered fish.we managed around 15 for an hour .but as the run in the tide increased so did the fish bite by 10 oclock over 50 and the size was fantastic so happy day.
Dont know what this weather will do in the next day or so with showers and a possible storm prediction so will have to wait and see but sunday looks good if weather forcasts are accurate..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Great couple of days on the bay ,sunday arvo was really nice so off i went to the lazaret gutter for a late afternoon session with the change of the tide around 3 pm and a southerly around 7 knots ideal,it was great to meet one of our followers as well and to have a chat about fishing ,well at slack water got my first squire and a few small ones thrown in as well and just on dusk the second really nice squire smashed the whiting head,so two really nice fish for the evening,this morning was nice picked up one more around the 45 so of for a troll not much at all very quite on the school mackerel front a few nice tailor were chopping but missed getting a few,the whiting grounds had a few boat up where the rous meets the small boat channel so i stayed at the yellow and picked up so really good whiting not thick but 30 fish was more then enough.
Came back to the 28 ft mark where the arrow and cuttlefish were on the eastern side of green (i was reminded yesterday to tell depths in meters) as some of our young readers dont know feet...and the cuttlefish were thick managed 7 and an arrow so went over to green to clean them in the shallows and yes plenty of tigers kept one and released 4 damn big buggers,so all in all couple of great days.
till next time good fishing.will be off for about a week so hopefully back next week.
Attachments
IMG_1040_2219.jpg
IMG_1039_2218.jpg
IMG_1035_2216.jpg
IMG_1034_2221.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Have been getting some great reports of nice squire from all the bay islands and also of nice jew fish been caught while fishing for squire around peel and harrys artificial reef .andrew got his first jew at peel island and tells me me he was so excited he was shaking,i remmeber the experience very well ,especially when you think its a small shark and realize its your first ever jew,well done... hopefully many more to come and you have stopped shaking by now...