10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 6/9/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm

The days are warming up and the fishing for whiting and school mackerel has been as good as ever. The only down times seem to be with the bigger tides, as the tides get smaller the schoolies seem to prefer the less run.

Went out with Nicole from Fishing Monthly and all her camera and video cameras and underwater cameras and anything else you can imagine, that takes photos (the boat was listing to one side) but jokes aside we had a great day.

We managed a mackerel on the underwater camera hitting the white Smith jig and another on the spoon, and then decided to try the cameras on the whiting. It was so much fun, and we got a feed for home as well.

VideoScreenshot1.jpg
VideoScreenshot2.jpg
Schoolie.jpg
Whiting.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 6/9/17

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 pm

What a strange day wind wise,bannana banks s/e innerbeacon nn/e spitfire n/e yet inside green 15 plus south westerly all day.
anyway it was nice going out for a feed of whiting managed 3 schoolies all undersize on the way past the hope banks,(it will be much better next week with the smaller tides i think) ,the whiting are in plague propportions in the small boat passage you can anchor up and catch as many as you want for dinner.
stopped at green to have a quick fish for some squire on the start of the outgoing tide and managed two nice fish around the 40 mark dropped a couple so it was worth the stop.
dont know what the weather will bring on the week end sat looks like it is going to blow so hopefully sunday is better..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

great day monday lots of schoolies and nice size as well and the whiting are thick.......
Attachments
IMG_1120_2289.jpg
IMG_1119_2292.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm

JUst thought i would remind everyone to try the mackerel frames for dinner,they are great eating cooked on a hotplate with a mixture of lemon juice.olive oil fresh or dried oregano salt and pepper (squeezed garlic ) if you like as well ..it easy easy to get the flesh of and the bones are easy to bypass.(but would not let kids have on there own)..
everyone that has tried them tell me they are great to eat and the taste is very good as well..
you can use the heads for crab pots ..
Attachments
IMG_1121_2290.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am

Hi 20mm thick mackerel steaks for $5.75 at our fisho and small as well . looooove fishing cheers stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

the winds have finally arrived it was howling at manly the last couple of days so les hope the week end predictions of a couple of fishable days is correct,and for those looking to get some diving boards our local store in my area watertower bait and tackle has all in stock again and some new orange tuna diving boards that i have been trying and work a treat ,they are not as heavy as the yamashita and the delta boards so you can use a little lighter line to trawl ..i still find the yamashita and delta boards the best .i have also been trying the different colour smiths jigs and i have to say the pink and red are working as good as the white,i am going to try the blue and yellow next time out so will let you know how they work out.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Friday turned out a nice day,the schoolies were not in big numbers but the size was very good managed 4 nice ones going out and 2 on the way back on both sides of the hope banks,if you are taking the kids out for a whiting fish they are in great numbers in the weed banks all the way thru to the rous channel and also at the sandhills in front of the big and small hill.
the water colour is not great and the squid seem to be hiding a couple of nice squire this afternoon but the north easterly decided to get up to 15 to 16 knots not very comfortable so home and see what saturday brings.

Photo: pete finally started catching school mackerel after many years of trying and i think he is now hooked... and very happy .
Attachments
20170916_110151.jpg

Chu

Post by Chu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Woke up to a beautiful morning and decided to try something different to my normal routine. With the glassy conditions, I headed out towards Bribie Island to try my luck at getting a feed of whiting. Not knowing where to start except with some advice of "anywhere south of Bongaree", I decided to drift along an area about 1-2km south. It wasn't long before I caught the first one. I managed to get about 18 of these delicious species (plus a 50cm flathead that decided to inhale my small hook) before I decided to head back for lunch. It was still glassy conditions when heading back but soon turned a bit windy.

A great morning out and was very pleased to have another nice area to visit.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Well the season for schoolies continues and they were on the bite with the morning high tides and cleaner water wide of hyubers light apart from a couple of trawlers dirtying up a little and the damn dredge at manly is churning the water into mud especially bad with the outgoing tide around green trying to see the bottom or look for squid was near impossible 4ft depth and could not see the bottom.
the schoolies are in all around the hope banks depending on the incomming or outgoing tide so need to trawl out and find them and need to be a little deeper then normal ,some nice big fish on the weekend and monday but for some reason tuesday was veryslow manage a couple of good fish and 5 undersize where as on mondy the boys had a ball with only big fish.and lots of them.
the whiting are again on in the small boat channel all the way to the rous and when you find them its worth anchoring up ,the bonus these last few days was a few nice big squid turned up attacking the whiting on the line which was a bonus.thursdy hopefully looks good and then windy for a while..
the whiting and squid are also in good numbers at the sandhills but have not heard any reports re schoolies from the western side of moreton at all so far ..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm

forgot to mention the photo of the big schoolies in the previous post was from a good friend of the column who has been trying to catch schoolies for a long long time (pete) and finally got a couple last week and 6 lovely fish on saturday..wellwell done from now on catching them will be like riding a bike ...

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm

What a great day on the water no wind dead calm conditions plenty of school mackerel and whiting but the best thing was the humpback whales with there calves on the eastern side of green island towards the artificial reef ,my wife and daughter were over the moon with seeing a baby suckling for three quarters of an hour while we stayed with her just drifting .it was amazing to watch and the fact in all my years of beeing out in the bay never seeing it before,others were just swimming along with there babies all thru the bay it was a fantastic day...wowwwww.
Attachments
IMG_20170918_103504.jpg
IMG_20170918_083647.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Some good fishing and whale watching in the last week and then the winds arrived .a good friend of the reports sent me a note thru and i thought i would share with all the readers ,this is what makes me feel good ..............,friday and maybe a few hours over the week end look maybe ok to run out for a while.

"You sent me an email 1-2 years ago to help me fine tune my approach to paravaning. Well I am sending you a quick fishing report. I had my best session paravaning yesterday near the sandhills. Trolled for 30 minutes first up for 2 school mackerel - one good one and one released. We then anchored for about 3 hours using live baits and pilchards. We had a ball hooking and losing heaps of fish including 4 small sharks. We went back to trolling in the same area and every pass had a hookup. All good size fish over 60 cm and the biggest 78 cm (man those 85 cm fish you got a while back must have been big!). Got 4 in 30 minutes trolling, no unders, no bite offs and no dropped fish.
We came back to Manly at 1 pm with 8 nice fish for the table. Photo attached.
I am a big fan of your reports and read them every week. Keep it up.
jeremy "
Attachments
Mack-me.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 am

what a nice couple of days out on the bay and the good news was the winds that were going to blow on saturday did not eventuate .we spent the days over at the sandhills and if you have not been for a while you forget what a beautiful area it is.the whiting were easy to get at the yellow infront of the big sandhill and also on the opposite side in front of the small sandhill and the squid both arrow and tiger were plentiful at dusk and dawn.
thanks to one of our readers jeremy i trolled for an hour between the two yellows and picked up two lovely big schoolies .
we came back to the rous to try and find some whales on the way but did not see any i was told there were two between harrys and st helena but we missed seeing them.
we stopped for lunch in the small boat channel on one of the weed banks and the whiting were there as were the tiger squid my wife had a lot of fun getting one after another and did not even get ink all over the boat ..just on the slack water.so plenty of fish around and the weather was perfect ,hope this rain eventuates would be good for the waterways the bay and our brown lawns on this part of the bay..
Attachments
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Today the weather was fantastic glassy conditions and the whales were there again one mum and calf seems to like the area west of harrys and the other mum and calf was in front of the lazaret gutter.whale watching sure takes away from fishing but its worth it .so did not go for whiting stopped for an hour at green for a squire fish hooked two lost them both and then the whales turned up so off to see them .on the way the paravanes were out and where i least expected in 40 foot west of the artificial and north of hope banks as i was going double hit.another interesting site today was a around an 8 ft hammerhead shark swimming on the surface .tried to take a photo but got water only..two small macks on the way back back to manly.
so nice day and a good friend gave me 7 lovely sandcrabs this morning (as he knows i cant crab to save my life) so chilly crab tonight..thank you shane.
Attachments
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm

sunday turned out into a glorious day on the bay,managed a nice schoolie on the way out looking for whales and the whiting were again in good numbers in the small boat channel ,the squid did not turn up as the water was murky and the huge tide did not help with the mackerel when the tide turned .did not find any whales close in the southern bay but a few were east of mud towards the sandhill where a good friend caught a nice tuna while trolling for mackerel near a whale.i think when the tides get a little smaller the mackerel will be back on, amazing the water temp is rising quite quickly only 4 to 5 degree F before we start looking for spotties .lets hope its a longer season then last year.