570 Royal Esplanade
Manly QLD 4179
Ph: (07) 3393 3811
http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 6/9/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm

The days are warming up and the fishing for whiting and school mackerel has been as good as ever. The only down times seem to be with the bigger tides, as the tides get smaller the schoolies seem to prefer the less run.

Went out with Nicole from Fishing Monthly and all her camera and video cameras and underwater cameras and anything else you can imagine, that takes photos (the boat was listing to one side) but jokes aside we had a great day.

We managed a mackerel on the underwater camera hitting the white Smith jig and another on the spoon, and then decided to try the cameras on the whiting. It was so much fun, and we got a feed for home as well.

VideoScreenshot1.jpg
VideoScreenshot2.jpg
Schoolie.jpg
Whiting.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 6/9/17

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 pm

What a strange day wind wise,bannana banks s/e innerbeacon nn/e spitfire n/e yet inside green 15 plus south westerly all day.
anyway it was nice going out for a feed of whiting managed 3 schoolies all undersize on the way past the hope banks,(it will be much better next week with the smaller tides i think) ,the whiting are in plague propportions in the small boat passage you can anchor up and catch as many as you want for dinner.
stopped at green to have a quick fish for some squire on the start of the outgoing tide and managed two nice fish around the 40 mark dropped a couple so it was worth the stop.
dont know what the weather will bring on the week end sat looks like it is going to blow so hopefully sunday is better..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

great day monday lots of schoolies and nice size as well and the whiting are thick.......
Attachments
IMG_1120_2289.jpg
IMG_1119_2292.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm

JUst thought i would remind everyone to try the mackerel frames for dinner,they are great eating cooked on a hotplate with a mixture of lemon juice.olive oil fresh or dried oregano salt and pepper (squeezed garlic ) if you like as well ..it easy easy to get the flesh of and the bones are easy to bypass.(but would not let kids have on there own)..
everyone that has tried them tell me they are great to eat and the taste is very good as well..
you can use the heads for crab pots ..
Attachments
IMG_1121_2290.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am

Hi 20mm thick mackerel steaks for $5.75 at our fisho and small as well . looooove fishing cheers stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

the winds have finally arrived it was howling at manly the last couple of days so les hope the week end predictions of a couple of fishable days is correct,and for those looking to get some diving boards our local store in my area watertower bait and tackle has all in stock again and some new orange tuna diving boards that i have been trying and work a treat ,they are not as heavy as the yamashita and the delta boards so you can use a little lighter line to trawl ..i still find the yamashita and delta boards the best .i have also been trying the different colour smiths jigs and i have to say the pink and red are working as good as the white,i am going to try the blue and yellow next time out so will let you know how they work out.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Friday turned out a nice day,the schoolies were not in big numbers but the size was very good managed 4 nice ones going out and 2 on the way back on both sides of the hope banks,if you are taking the kids out for a whiting fish they are in great numbers in the weed banks all the way thru to the rous channel and also at the sandhills in front of the big and small hill.
the water colour is not great and the squid seem to be hiding a couple of nice squire this afternoon but the north easterly decided to get up to 15 to 16 knots not very comfortable so home and see what saturday brings.
Attachments
20170916_110151.jpg

Chu

Post by Chu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Woke up to a beautiful morning and decided to try something different to my normal routine. With the glassy conditions, I headed out towards Bribie Island to try my luck at getting a feed of whiting. Not knowing where to start except with some advice of "anywhere south of Bongaree", I decided to drift along an area about 1-2km south. It wasn't long before I caught the first one. I managed to get about 18 of these delicious species (plus a 50cm flathead that decided to inhale my small hook) before I decided to head back for lunch. It was still glassy conditions when heading back but soon turned a bit windy.

A great morning out and was very pleased to have another nice area to visit.