10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 20/10/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Finally the rain and winds stopped so the whiting master needed a day on the bay, as did I. Big tides and not a schoolie to be seen ( last year they had gone also from the hope banks to the sandhills and peel) we got to the small boat channel in a variable 2 to 3 knots of n/e with the last 3 hours of the incoming tide and the whiting were thick on the southern side of the chain banks. i had to stop the whiting master from catching too many.

The good thing was a good friend had dropped a few sandies in the back of the boat early in the morning so we decided with no breeze and an
outgoing tide to go clean our whiting and cook our crabs for lunch and see if any good size squire were lurking and we were not
disappointed. Missed one good squire but managed a really nice size one and the crabs tasted great. Even found some shells in the squire's
stomach.

So great day had by all, now we need to wait for the rain and wind to stop again for another day out.

IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg

Fishfingers

Re: Report 20/10/17

Post by Fishfingers » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Thought I'd take the opportunity to say hello to you all since I've been reading your reports for some time as I try to teach myself to fish, it's been pretty tough going so far but I am improving.
Janine and I caught ourselves a good feed of squid last night off Peel and spent the night there out of the wind on the southern side. We trolled for macs all morning going around Green and then through the small ship and right through the rous but all for a not even a strike, except for a bycatch of the biggest grinner I have seen to date on the shotgun rig under the prop wash.
In the end we had to cut it short and head home due to the predicted strong Southerly coming in early and bringing some rain with it to boot. There's always next time I guess.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 am

Sometimes you just have to be at the right place at the right time , this black king (cobia) was 93 cm and nearly 5 kg. It was caught on a whiting rod with a dead little bait at the aquatic paradise beacons in 3 mts of water by Valarie Graham on a wet and miserable day , interesting a friend caught two on the western side of green island this time last year as well in 3 mts of water ..well done valarie great fish and to get it in with a whiting rod there must have been plenty of patience applied.
Attachments
SperoCobe.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Last couple of days on the bay have been great, the weather was perfect and the fish are biting depending what you are after. The whiting are again in great numbers in the small boat channel and the rous. The school mackerel are a little quiet with the big tides and dirty water but managed 2 nice ones yesterday on the eastern side of the naval banks towards the first green and the second green towards peel. Plenty of flake (little sharks) if you want to drift with a live whiting or pillie.
the squire and snapper also were at green island this morning on the tide change, and we dropped two and picked up two. It was lots of fun in 16 ft of water and fairly light gear on whole whiting and whiting heads.
ps .happy to help if i can Fishfingers, you can email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au.
Attachments
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1215-(2).jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:10 am

Just a mention that this months FISHING MONTHLY MAGAZINE queensland edition i have put together an article of what you might need to know about catching a few schoolies in moreton bay ,i hope you find it helps a little .and i have to say its fun doing it ...

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:17 am

Well sometimes you go to go out because a friend has set a date for a trip and that was the case on friday,with 25 to 30 blowing we set out a a luxury riv with 15 guys on board ,it was really shitty weather so the whiting fishing planned was out the window and the trolling was the only thing left to do ,thank heavens it was a 58 ft boat,we trolled from the hope to peel down the whole of the rainbow channel back into the rous all the way back to manly ,and i have to say for the worst day ever 7 undersize schoolies and on 65 cm one was really good ,the boys had fun and enjoyed the day .
Saturday of course was dead calm as was today sunday and if you like a squire and sweetlip green fished really well especially on the last of the outgoing tide most of the fish caught on whiting heads or whole small whiting just floated out with the smaller tides.
End of the week is looking good so it will be time to look foe schoolies in the rous at the bar entrance and the sandhills.
Attachments
IMG_1219.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Nice day on the bay took the boys out for a whiting fish ,the whiting were the biggest i have seen for a long time in the small boat channel ,especially with the run in the tide they slowed a little with slack water but went mad when the tide started rollin out again,not a schoolie to be seen this morning should have expected this with these big tides,the boys picked up 2 nice squire with the incomming tide at green and dropped a couple as well.
I think the sandhills might be the go to look for some schoolies tommorow and maybe look to see if any spotties are around the water temp has jumped up to 73 today so in the past 74 to 76 is when they normally start to come in ,not far away i hope.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Sat nice day plenty of very large whiting of the south eastern side of the chain banks in the small boat channel and some very nice schoolies trolling between harries artificial to the entrance to the rous channel red on the northern side of the chain banks with the outgoing tide.also schoolies in front of the small sandhill at moreton .on Pillies in 15 ft..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:32 pm

What a great last three days on the bay ,if you like your whiting everyone must be eating some tonight as they were everywhere in the usual areas that we talk about the small boat passage.rous channel sandhills ,and the school mackerel were around in some old areas that they were last year,the northern drop off of the chain banks all the way to the first red at green marking the entrance to the rous and the two go slow yellows at the sandhills and shark spit had a few today as well ,not in the numbers they have been in but enough to keep us all happy.
Green island water was very murky today even with the last of the incomming but a couple of nice squire came thru so made it a very nice week end.
Reading the papers i saw mention that its the best spotty season so far but i have to say i have not seen any yet and the water temp is still a few degrees cooler ,we did the whole bay today with glassy conditions from sharkspit to harrys and mud all the areas the spottys are normally at and did not see any bird action or any spottys apart from a couple of small schools of bonito .
maybe they have turned up somewhere else ,will keep looking for them..
will be off for a week or so only hopefully getting something else the doctors think we can do without removed .so keep catching plenty of fish and hope everyone has some luck in the melbourne cup..my dollr each way is on hartnell..good luck.
Attachments
IMG_2328.jpg
IMG_2327.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:27 pm

first nice day after the wind.and the fishing was very good .the whiting at the small boat channel were in big numbers again on the chain bank side and by the ammount of boats at the rous channel junction with small boat channel as well .I would suggest floating a pllie out as there were school mackerel taking the whiting today...fished green at the last couple of hours of the outgoing tide for some nice squire and sweetlip..a few schoolies also caught on the western side of moreton island down from sharkspit to the sandhills.nice photo of a good friend john weeks with a nice schoolie trolling a spoon behind David's yacht..thank you to everyone that sent get well wishes surgery went well .but nobody tell my surgeon I went fishing today.
Attachments
Spero.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Great days on the bay,the weather was nice a little wind in the afternoon on thursday but eased overnight and a beautiful day on friday,fishing was very good lots and lots of very nice size whiting in the small boat channel of the chainbanks and the bonus was a few nice schoolies were around picked up only one but saw a few more thru the back of the boat,green island continues to fish exceptionally well for squire and sweetlip we fished the change of the tide on thursday with some good results and from a few friends who fished the area also caught some good size squire, the bonus was many many school mackerel in the berley trail picked up 5 but only two keepers .it reminds me many many years ago the 45 to 50 cm school mackerel were in big numbers at the drop of at ormiston we use to use 4x1.0 with small frogmouth pillies no size limmit in those days.
Attachments
IMG_20171116_150259.jpg
IMG_20171116_124342.jpg
IMG_20171116_101008.jpg
IMG_20171116_090736.jpg