10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 2/2/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 am

February has arrived and the first week doesn't look too promising with the winds forecast. Still, there's every chance the wind prediction will improve as the strong wind warning for the last day of January was way off the mark, with calm conditions and plenty of mackerel fishing to be had.

Schoolies have come back on the bite in a big way, and all the 40-45 cm ones have now turned into 50cm+ (still lots of little ones around). Some big spotties have moved into the bay as well. They haven't been staying up for long, but if you are in a fast boat and can get to the school as they surface you have a much better chance of picking up a few.

Of course, dropping a diving board with a spoon will catch you a nice feed as well, not as much fun as throwing a slug into a feeding school -- but sometimes there is not much else you can do. A good friend Doc Russell from Greenslopes caught some nice fish recently, along with a giant herring, which are fun to catch but a little boney for eating.

Lately I have been receiving emails from readers targeting schoolies who can't get their trolling boards/paravanes to swim well. If that's you, here are a few basic things you need to do.

1. Large snap swivel from main line to diving board. A good quality one is best.

2. I find Yamashita and Delta boards to be the best, with both having a good action. In contrast, the orange tuna board, Yozuri and others have no action (they only dive), but they do still catch fish.

3.Use the towing eye in the middle of the slot, and always tow in the middle hole of the diving board. Use a knife to cut a notch or tough in the board for the line to lie in. A tight locked blood knot is better than a loop line attachment, in my opinion, as I find a loop trips the board too many times.

4. A swivel only about 12" behind the board rather then further back helps with some chop-offs from smaller mackerel (I know because I used to put further back many years ago).

5. When it comes to spoons, I find Makka and Halco spoons to be the best. If you're using jigs, I recommend the white and pink Halco and Smith jigs work the best. In the bay, I find that 3" is better then any size.

I hope these tips help a little with a fresh mackerel of any kind for the dinner table. [You can view a full article and diagram from Spero at http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2018/02 ... -on-spoons - Ed]

Lastly, many of you would have seen that my reports are now through Water Tower Bait and Tackle in Manly. One reason is because they have been great in carrying all the things that i suggest for using in the bay to catch a fish, and are most helpful to all the anglers dropping in on their way to fish the bay. And as you all have seen over the years, I have recommended only a very few items, and only to help with price and to catch a fish. That will never change.

Good fishing, Spero

IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg

Rusty68

Re: Report 2/2/18

Post by Rusty68 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Cheers to you Spero
Your advice is always spot on and an enjoyable read about what is happening on the bay
Let’s hope the wind settles next week !

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am

Thank you rusty ,glad you enjoy the reports.well i cant clean the rods and reels anymore or spit and polish the lures or do anything else but look at the damn wind reports everyday waiting for the winds to drop,its getting frustrating ,and i am not allowed to visit tackle stores to buy anymore rods and reels either, the good news i hope is the friday and saturday and even half of sunday weather predictions from the weather gurus ,lets hope they are correct as i think most of us need to get out into the bay for a fish..

stanau

Post by stanau » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 am

Hi went prawning on Wednesday only got 1kg wind was supposed to be 10 to 15kn but blew in at 20+ buy 6.30am at the salt works in front of Karragarra Island. Had a good day on the water and keep them reports coming Spero thanks. Cheers stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Finally back out in the bay ,and what a day 8 knots s/w in the early morning and by 10 oclock for the next 4 hours dead calm not a site of the 10 to 15 ..very happy indeed ,whiting master back from his tour of nz and the flu so very happy to get a big potty on the way out and a couple of smaller schoolies ,we fished the shallow banks on the south eastern side of the small boat channel and the whiting were thick as many as you wanted had to stop the whiting master at 50 ..and he fun part i anchored up in the weed bank in the small boat channel and while cleaning the whiting put out a live whiting and a couple of squid jigs 2 nice squid but the fun part was big school mackerel turned up behind the boat eating scraps i was throwing over the side ,picked up one and dropped another but it was lots of fun seeing them in 1o ft of water swimming behind the boat..
Attachments
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am

What a saturday lots of boats out and enjoying a really nice day on the bay,wife and i out for a couple of days and a troll heading to the banks on the eastern side of the small boat channel produced two nice schoolies on the north side of the hope banks and a couple of watsons bonito, trolled up towards peel on towards the two greens but apart from a couple of small schoolies not a spotty to be seen.
The whiting were thick on the 5 to 6 ft mark with the outgoing tide 6o in quick time,and went over to the weed bank to clean and see if there were any squid around ,plenty of tiger squid and a couple of very big ones ,another 3 boats drifting for squid with the incoming change of the tide picked many from the chain bank drop off all thru the channel in the weed banks (salt and pepper with garlic and chili squid for lunch, yum),not to fresh about an hour old.
No schoolies up at all and with the wind coming up went for a little troll up to the deep water where the rous and small boat channel meet. Got one nice schoolie close to the bank so anchored up with a couple of floating pillies and in no time had another two big schoolies on board. All in all, a great day on the bay, then back to the marina for a comfy sleep and home for lunch of fish and chips.
Attachments
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:45 am

Nice weekend a little breezy in the afternoons but it was pretty good saturday morning ,the schoolies are back and are getting closer in,managed 4 nice fish only a kilometer in front of the hyubers light before the deep trench to the hope banks,and a few more on the eastern side of the hope banks towards the naval banks no spotties to be seen ,next good day will have to have a look a little north again,and no broad mackerel towards peel either.
Lots of whiting and the quality is very good in the shallows on the eastern side of the small boat channel ,the boats that stopped there managed to bag out even with the conditions getting a little unpleasent as the wind picked up.
The lazaret was the place to be but d=fishing was not that good especially as there were plenty of big ugly catfish around ,gee i cant stand the bloody things with all that slime on the line and these were big fish 12 to 15 lbs as least you get a good fight out of them.
Some nice sweetlip and a few just size squire was all you had a chance of hooking between the catfish,at least got a channce to spend a couple of days on the bay.
Attachments
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1311.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Gee talk about shitty,you would need to be a very brave soul to go anywhere past the marina rock wall ,its been howling at manly and the rain last night finally arrived i dont know whats going to happen in the bay,i think it could be over for the spotties ,saying that last couple of years lots of them hung around but did not surface feed so we still by be getting some till easter once the rain and winds abate.and i am still hoping for the broad mackerel to come in .so all we can do is sit and wait and if you are like me visit your favourite tackle store and buy some more stuff incase we need it,(can never have enough rods reels and whatever else to do with fishing)..
i think this rain will be good for the whiting and the squire not that it need to get any better ,and the squid should be on as soon as the sun comes up and the water clears might be time to start tossing a couple of jigs around green..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Could not help myself had to go out for a run this morning ,no wind to speak of a light n/w to northerly around 7 knots i thought the water would be brown especially with an outgoing tide but to my supprise only dirty water and lots of weed and debri was west of green island past that the water was very clear.to be honest i put out the diving boards not really thinking after the blow and rain there would be anything around and i was thinking how right i was all the way to the start of the small boat channel on the lee side of the hope banks and all the way to the first green on the way to peel and nothing put one deeper and caught two lovely griinners ,so i thought i would head back home on the western side of the hope nothing again till i got past the trench after the hope banks and picked up two really nice big schoolies and dropped two as well ,so the couple of hours giving the boat a run was worth the effort.
An interesting spot this wide of the hyubers whenever you see this on the bottom there always seem to be mackerel above (most times) i was told many years agao its an area where a cable was put down to go to stradbroke island but have not managed to confirm anything about this,anyway what ever it is have a troll around it it works for me most times,and also put one diving board much deeper then the other sometimes they seem to be really deep...
Attachments
IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1320.jpg

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Nice one Spero, well done for taking the opportunity to get out. Would you mind explaining how you set a paravane deeper - I'm not sure I realised you could, apart from use finer mono/braid line?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am

Hi kelvin sent email but incase anyone else wants to know you can change depth from the towing eye but I always have mine in the middle of the slit and use the distance behind the boat to run shallow or deeper.close to the boat is shallower and further back it dives deeper..as mentioned there were some nice schoolies caught and if the forecasts are correct looks like great looking start to autumn.

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm

If any of you guys would like to read Spero's whiting article, it is now online: http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2018/02 ... n-the-bay/

Enjoy!
Attachments
WhitingArticle.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Lovely day on the bay lots of schoolies this morning going out on the western side of the hope banks and a big spotty as well this arvo on the way home and we released anothe 4 as well one bugger fell on our friends foot and i think he will need some stiches tonight.
the whiting as soon as the tide run started came on thick and the boys picked up plenty and the big tiger squid came for a look as well .we came home early as we all decided to get some sort of bug but the fishing was great.
Attachments
v14.jpg
IMG_20180301_094927.jpg
IMG_20180225_095111.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Not a bad last few days ,the days were nice but the breezes overnight were not as predicted last nights 10 to 15 became 15 to 20 which was not very comfortable at all,anyway the fishing was excellent as there was much traffic on the water and it should only get better with the start of autumn.
the schoolies were again there for the taking but in a different area in three days,thursday on the western side of the hope before the deep water channel, friday on the eastern side and saturday on the far eastern side up along the banks heading towards the first green pylon towards peel island ,time well worth spent finding them as there were some lovely big fish mixed in ,but no spotties on saturday,interesting lots of whitebait in the stomachs and mouths and lots of bait on the sounder ,it would not supprise me to see a few spotties feeding on the surface when these big tides ease and if the hot temperatures hang around.
the whiting were thick and there were some big fish mixed in ,the area was the floating yellow in the entrance to the small boat channel ,but please be careful where you end up while drifting as the green zone is just there.
the squid were nowhere to be seen on saturday i put in a few hours in all the weed banks and did not even see one yet on thursday we managed a few without trying in the same area.
the squire and sweetlip were in good numbers at green island on saturday night on the change of the tide but the damn wind cut the session earlier then i would have liked but managed 4 nice fish with a sweetlip going 42 cm wich was lots of fun.
so we will see what the weather forcasts end up doing as i think it will be a good autumn season ahead.
Attachments
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 am

Gee we are all getting pretty frustrated with this weather ,the strange part we had horrible weather around the same time last year for a few weeks so i suppose we just have to wait for the winds to ease,had a few emails from fisherman hooking onto schoolies and losing them close to the boat and i have to say if its a thud just out of site most likely the culprits are dolphins,they have been doing this for a while and sometimes its pretty bad as after a fish or two you will see them following the boat to grab the fish,this also tends to put the fish of the bite as well,i find the best thing is to leave the area and i dont mean a few hundred yards as they will follow you for miles.
As many have asked yes i do think the spotty season has gone especially the surface feeding ,but last year we caught many big spotties while catching schoolies i dont think this will change and i am still hoping the broad mackerel show up but nothing yet,lets hope this is the last week of the crappy weather and we can get back out for a fish,i dont think i will be praying for more rain anytime soon ,the lawn looks like mushroom city.