10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 3/8/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:17 am

August has started with a bank and a few warm days, but freezing morning and late afternoons. The school mackerel were on for weeks then had a break for 4 days over the weekend, of course so all fishermen who could get out missed out -- and then the mackerel started feeding again on Monday and all through the week, with plenty of fish being caught. The rous channel and small boat channel crossing is where they have been, but a few kilometers from the first yellow to the next yellow on the marrom bank side some days in 14 ft other days in 18 ft but they are there. I anchored up one day to just try pillies and i couldn't stop catching them, so if you don't want to troll, drifting or anchoring up with a little berley will work as well.

The basin at peel in front of the lazaret had a few schoolies as well, the place then did not was the sand hills and shark spit. I would suggest over the next few weeks the naval reserve banks towards peel will be good as there is lots of bait and a few bonito showing up.

The fishing for arrow squid and cuttlefish in the deeper water east of the close bay islands and the mainland has been great for these tasty morsels. As you can see from the photo below, regular report reader Mark Flynn took out the kids, and judging by their smiles they had lots of fun. I can't believe there is no ink on any of the girls! All the great photos and emails from readers of Fishing Monthly reports is why I love doing this.

IMG_5975.jpg
L-R: Georgia Fowler, Abbey Fowler, Patience Flynn

IMG_20180801_110845.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 3/8/18

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Just need to fix up my stupid mistake i have been saying all this time 3.5 gram squid jigs and the actuall size is 20 gm 3.5 is the size..sorry everyone. by the way lots of cuttlefish out there today good week end for them with a north westerly prediction will not be that bad on the eatern side of green and the mainland..couple of boats got inked pretty bad today at least they laughed...

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Nice day out on the bay plenty of mackerel east of the hope banks (very big buggers) and lots in the small boat channel all the way to the rous channel and the whiting were in very good numbers and quality and the arrows and cuttlefish keep on keeping on east of green in 28ft depth.

IMG_20180808_081645.jpg

IMG_20180808_105009.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 am

Just to let everyone know watertower bait and tackle have got in stock the makka spoons and the gold and chrome halco 3 inch spoons as well as the orange tuna boards and delta boards.and with the ammount of small mackerel on the way to the rous yesterday our school mackerel season is turning to be another ecxellent one with plenty of fish on offer,some days are better then others i dont know if its the big tides but thick one day and then slow and then thick again,yesterday all small fish on the way out not a touch on the spoons in the small boat channel and rous but picked up 4 on anchor fishing for whiting in the small boat channel and interesting bringing one up other were following yet nothing on the troll..anyway it was a nice day out,hopefully the wind drops on friday and everyone can get out overnight or at least saturday..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Nice couple of days on the bay weather was perfect and the schoolies turned up in big numbers in the basin in front of the lazaret BUT you needed run in the tide for them to be on especially incomming ,as soon as tide slowed they were off the bite,on friday afternoon the whole basin was completely full of bait ,and as mentionned last week all that bait that was on the naval reserve banks looks like it all went in the basin and the schoolies found it..it was amazing as was saturday morning ..the whiting in the small boat channel were thick and a few lovely tiger squid as well as a few tailor ..great few days on the bay and plenty of fish.