10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 2/2/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:08 pm

January has come and gone, and apart from a 6 inch spotty i have seen nothing inside the bay which is quite disappointing. The water temp has gone to 82 and the water colour was disgusting with the big tides. As i write this the south easterly has finally come through and a little wetness, cant call it rain yet. Let's hope the water stays clear and there is a small drop in the water temp. The spottys have been caught outside so they are around, just need a trigger to come into the bay.

Even the schoolies had gone for quite for a while but they came on the bite again last week. Interesting with the big tides they were over on the western side of moreton island from the sand hills all the way up to Lucinda bay. They like clean water as well, but I managed to catch a few back in close this week.

The tiger squid have started and the whiting (thank heavens) are in plentiful supply throughout the bay. The reef fishing has been very good as well, with harrys fishing well for squire and snapper, as have been the shallow reefs around the bay islands with lots of sweetlip and squire around.

My good friend Doctor Land made his dream come true fishing for threadfin at the mouth of the Brisbane river, and by the size of the fish how could you not be excited? Over 110 cm is a fantastic catch, and he caught 4 so a good session. I was told by one of the pro fisherman thread fin have been pretty thick in the last few weeks around the area, so if you want to get a few live herring or large green prawns are the go.

Lets hope our next report says the spotties are in.

IMG_1498.jpg
Dr Land.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 2/2/19

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Everyone waiting for the winds to ease so we can get out for a fish and judging by the bom and see breeze i cant tell if i am arthur or martha.bom says 20 plus knots predicted for sunday and see breeze showing 2 knots and dead calm conditions. i would suggest we all wait till late tommorow to see if any can agree or we just wait till sunday morning before deciding..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Dead calm on the bay this morning till late in the arvo blowing close to 20 knots around 5 pm.plenty of whiting southern side of small boat channel and some nice tiger squid in the deeper weed banks.there are lots of tigers on the weed banks at Cowan reef close to shore all the way up every weed bank seems to have big tigers.plenty of bait everywhere no sign of spotties .managed two babies again today.a friend just told me this arfternoon lots of toad fish schools in the half tide gutter just before the maroom banks and balls of bait with tailor feeding..next we might see billfish eating the toads..who knows.
IMG_20190210_105757.jpg
i2.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 am

Might be a good idea when you get a chance to have a fish on the eastern side of green close to the drop off all along as the sweetlip are in large numbers and very good quality fish and wonderful eating as well ,couple of our friends that follow our reports sent me these wonderful photos ryann and brett ,thank you for letting me know ,i have to say have not seen this many sweetlip in the bay for a long time but no complaining from me its great to see the close islands full of fish.
sweetlip.jpg
sweetlip green island 2.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Well i suppose one good day is better then none ,beautiful day on the bay today a little s/w this morning and then glass till the n/e kicked in.plenty of whiting on the southern side of the chain banks with plenty biting when there was run in the tide as slack water hit it was like they all stopped eating tide turned and they were back on,picked up a couple of nice schoolies on the way out between king island and green island very close in and we caught 12 all undersize around the hope banks going out but another nice fish on the way home,we stopped at green for a few hours with the outgoing tide and managed 2 nice squire around the 40 mark but there were lots of horrible ocean toad fish.so looks like thats it for a week or so,lots of ropes and fenders on the next two days and lets hope everyone is safe and we get the rain and not the cyclone hitting us.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 am

Wow no fishing for a week, i had to resort to catching bream in the marina, pretty desperate thing to do but it brought back lots of memories from my young days fishing the rock walls and marinas in victoria growing up,and before that in greece. let's hope this horrible weather clears sometime soon as its getting a little frustrating.

the fishing, apart from reef and whiting fishing, might slow down with the colour of the water in the bay. it's poo brown and with the winds still blowing the school mackerel are going to be hard to catch. and as for the spotties, i can't see them coming in with this coloured water. i hope we have not lost the season for them, time will tell when we can get out there to have a look, let's hope it's by the end of the week.

IMG_20190221_100312.jpg
DSCN0053.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:24 am

Well managed a couple of hours out yesterday morning till it started to howl around lunchtime,to my surprise the water was quite clean and a good colour ,managed a nice squire and a nice cod at green island with the run out tide dropped a couple of squire as well so for a couple of hours it was fun,decided on a troll as the tide changed and there were lots of 30 cm schoolies but not one over 50 .looks like shitty weather again for a few days ,and i hate to say we might have missed out on the spotty season but lets hope they make a late run as the water temp has dropped to 76 ...we will see when we get a few nice days.
IMG_20190227_085827.jpg
IMG_20190227_080615.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:11 pm

well the water temp has dropped but finally a day to go fishing,some nice schoolies on the south western side of the hope banks on the way out to the whiting grounds this morning , plenty to be had at the small boat channel and a few squid to make our day complete,whiting master and my godson had lots of fun.but the catch of the day good friend shane and peter cleaned up in the rainbow channel with lots and lots of squid they were black all over,and they were climbing over each other to get to the jigs,shanes reckons green striped pattern worked the best.lots of tina schools wide of the sandhills but no reports of mackerel still hoping..looks like saturday sunday might be nice out in the bay lets hope bom is correct.

IMG_20190306_111616.jpg
IMG_20190306_091653.jpg
IMG_20190306_075433.jpg
i8_n.jpg

Chu

Post by Chu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:16 am

Went out early to my usual spot at Scarborough reef, unfortunately there seem to be a reef shark conference going on around there. Within an hour I landed 3 of them and another 4 escaped, biting off the line. While if maybe fun catching these lively creatures once in awhile, but how much fish and chips can a person eat? I left shortly after, have to give my arms a rest.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:50 am

Well the weather seems to be a little more settled and the forcast for the week end looks good,plenty of whiting in the small boat passage and all the way along the maroon bank (just make sure not to close to the 2 mt green zone) but plenty there ,the water is really clear so the school mackerel should be on the lee side s of the hope banks depending on the tide flow ,as seen plenty of squid in the rainbow channel along the weed banks and a few nice reef fish at the shallow bareefs of the islands and some nice fish at harries artificial ,lots of tuna schools breaking up the surface on the western side of moreton island a few were caught with chrome slugs but it took lots of casts to get one to hit, and i have to say if the spotties have any chance of comming in this will be the time or time will run out for the year but with the temperature on the rise after the south easterlys we might be lucky..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Nice week end on the bay sat and especially sunday with thousands of boats out,the tiger squid have come in the bay with a bang hundreds in the rainbow channel all the way from amity to dunwich every weed bank and even in the deeper water but around the welsby light was the best spot,i stayed over night on the maroon bank side of the small boat passage and the big tigers came on with a bang around 4 pm stopped and then an hour later back on again ,i think the schools are going up and down so when they see the jigs its first in best dressed as they were climbing over each other to get the jig ,and i was anchored up,and this morning same thing on sunrise on again.
I also tried green today to see if they have come that far in got 3 small ones and did not see any more so i dont know if the big numbers have come all the way in ,it will not be long i dont think before green and all the close in areas fire up.
The whiting were again in good numbers on the southern side of the chain banks and up along the maroon banks all the way up to where the rous joins in lots of boats filling there buckets.
The school mackerel were hit and miss and were even on the opposite side with the incomming tide,it seem they are hanging around the north western corner just west of the green marker which shows the beginning of the chain banks.
Lots of tuna schools wide of the sand hills and wide of tangalooma and thru out the shipping channels ,the spotties are been caught outside but have not seen any yet in the bay still hoping for a miracle to happen ,i am hoping this heat this week could be a trigger,we have caught them in the past all the way thru till easter.
Some nice reef fish and some good size schoolies this week at harries ,so lets hope the weather is good to us later in the week for a day out.

IMG_20190309_172814.jpg
IMG_20190309_155640.jpg
IMG_20190309_102548.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Beautiful day on the bay a few nice reef fish with the outgoing at green island till the toothie critters turned up,but plenty of good size schoolies with the run out tide on the north eastern side of the hope banks.worth putting on a smith jig in white .as 3 out of the 7 were on them..the water turned dirty brown with the big tide but the mackerel did not seem to mind.

IMG_20190319_123748.jpg
IMG_20190319_102713.jpg
IMG_20190319_093817.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:12 pm

What a great weekend weather wise apart from saturday arvo when the predicted 10 to 15 turned into 20 plus knot from the north which caught some of us out,bom did change the forcast at 8.30 pm a little late for those out to spend the night,hope everyone survived the rockin and rolling,on the fishing front and with all the boat traffic the fishing was pretty good,a few schoolies around the hope bank beacons and a few were caught in the southern bay south of bird and goat island,but overall pretty quiet,the whiting in the rous small boat passage and on the southern side of chain banks was ok but nowhere near the numbers they have been ,i went over to the amity banks towards the oyster leases and could not get a bite till the tide started to roll in and it was like the dinner bell went and excellent quality fish as well.
The tiger squid are really in abundance in the rainbow channel towards the welsby light and plenty on the northern side of the maroon banks in the weed banks.green island has plenty but very timid at the moment .
A few reef fish especially cod for some reason but only a few sweetlip and squire were size most were on the limit or just under,they will grow up soon.
If you like prawning and can throw a cast net lots of them in the logan river mouth of the photos i have been sent really nice prawns ,wish i could throw a cast net,but sadly all the teaching of my father did not work for me.

IMG_20190323_141435.jpg

IMG_20190323_120211.jpg

IMG_20190323_103524.jpg

IMG_20190322_145633.jpg

IMG_20190322_084648.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 pm

What a fantastic day on the bay tuesday apart from the northerly swell running early in the morning turned into a dead calm day ,the good news is we picked up two very large spotties today first ones for the season both big females and lots of big schoolies so might be a last hoorah tha next fine weather to get the slugs out and have a look for some spotties in the bay .
the whiting were a very large size at the amity banks and the squid againd were good in the rous except a little bugger got me good in the face,ron the whiting master and dave and i had one of the best days fishing..great to be out with good friends

IMG_20190326_155124.jpg
IMG_20190326_132654.jpg
IMG_20190326_085148.jpg
IMG_6463.jpg
IMG_6450.jpg