10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 21/7/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Mid winter and the weather has settled and the fish are on the bite in the bay. A friend and follower of of the fishing monthly reports Angus mc master sent me a lovely email to say thank you for letting him know where the whiting have been. Judging by the boys faces, George livingstone and johnny mc master, they had some fun with big whiting. This is what puts a smile on my face -- kids catching fish.

The snapper have been on the bite throughout the bay, and judging by many photos sent through and by the luck i had this past weekend, many anglers had a few nice fish to take home. I personally had one of the best two morning sessions i have had in a long while. Not giant fish but 40 cm to 58 cm was the norm. The bite was so good i ended up releasing 4 fish well over the 45 cm mark, and the good thing was they came on the bite at peel at 8.30 and 9 am -- a lovely time rather then pre dawn and dusk when it has been freezing. Lots of fun i have to say.

The school mackerel were very quiet. I managed 3, two under size, and i don't really know why. Pretty sure they will be back on very soon.

The whiting in the rous and small boat channel was hit and miss, and amity banks were very slow but the fish were very large, 28 to 32 cm so no complaints. Where they have been in good numbers are the sand hills and the blue hole, with many being caught.

The little cuttlefish and arrows are still on the bottom east of green and wello point, so it's worth a jig on the bottom. I have found the razorbacks jigs, especially the blue color, are working really well as the cuttlefish are getting jagged on the back prongs as they grab the jig in the middle.

DSCN0093.jpg
file-47.jpg
IMG_20190721_090054.jpg
IMG_20190721_070849.jpg
IMG_20190720_170023.jpg
IMG_20190720_095122.jpg
IMG_20190719_155423.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 21/7/19

Post by sperok » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Some good days on the bay and the weather and winds are letting us get out there .the whiting are in good numbers in the blue hole ,but if you dont want to go that far they are in the small boat channel and the rous is the go, but you need to work a little to find them we managed 40 plus today all big fish but had to work a little but the size makes up for the quantity.
school mackerel are hard to find at the momment a few tailor on the spoons .but the cuttlefish and arrow squid are in good numbers in the deeper water of green island.
I great day on the bay with the whiting master, dave and my godson elliot (the whiting masters young son). It was good to see Dave and Elliot cleaning their whiting (the whiting master had a sleep).

IMG_20190724_141124.jpg
IMG_20190724_114244.jpg
IMG_20190724_113628.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:38 pm

The last 3 days on the bay were exceptional weather wise and fishing wise depending on what you targeted,decided on squire/snapper and arrows and cuttlefish as the school mackerel have gone quiet till the next cold snap i hope and we have plenty of bonito cured in salt and olive oil ,and the whiting are hit and miss but of really good quality if you put the time and effort in,seems the blue hole is fishing better then anywhere else for good size whiting.
friday afternoon produced one of the best sessions i have had at green for a while not only getting the bag limit but catching and releasing as well in a two hour period,was not my favourite tide incomming but sometimes if the wind light north easterly in the same direction as the tide is worth a go for me ,and all i had was extra large whiting heads but that did not make a difference they smashed them,so dont be scared to use extra large bait the snapper /squire they take anything one had whole squid and whole whiting in its stomach.
The cuttlefish and arrow squid have been so much fun to catch and of course they are great to eat and its been a very good season for them some of the cuttlefish are quiet large as are the very long arrows,i have to say its been so much fun fishing for these octopods.
A little advise fishing at green island if you are after the bigger fish fish in the deeper water and not on the actual reef ,especially with baits you will loose lots of gear and you will probably loose a good fish on the coral,flicking plastics at least you can keep of the bottom .i find best results along the whole eastern side is 18 to 20 ft depth and using burly helps ,interesting this past week end were the spearfisherman at green island ,a little of putting when close to boat fishing, it scares me knowing some of our tiger and bull sharks in the bay..i am a chicken i could not do it.

IMG_20190728_112345.jpg
IMG_20190728_104738.jpg
IMG_20190728_093757.jpg
IMG_20190728_085341.jpg
IMG_20190726_170839.jpg
IMG_20190726_164749.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:17 pm

What a few great few days weather was great and the fishing was just as good ,plenty of whiting in the small boat channel of the chain banks some huge whiting at the amity bnks but not in great numbers but 30 cm plus.
The school mackerel that have been very quiet in the last few weeks must have been having babies as there were hundreds in the lazaret basin the last 3 days only problem 99% of them were under size (in a few weeks it might be the best ever season for schoolies)
The squire and snapper have been on especially with the incomming tides at green mud island and peel island in the morning with a few hours in to the tide.
The arrow squid and cuttlefish still in good numbers from east of the hyubers light to the northern tip of green island 23 to 30 ft mark of the bottom i am finding different colour jigs on different days so put out 3 and see wich one starts and then change them all,the cheap razorbacks are working well on the cuttlefish but one day its the blue and other days the red or orange.
Plenty of extra larhe whitiing at the amity banks but very few in numbers but most fish were 30 cm plus and the arrow squid were there as well.

IMG_20190804_154155.jpg
IMG_20190804_125333.jpg
IMG_20190804_104256.jpg
IMG_20190804_091837.jpg
IMG_20190804_064324.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 pm

a few reports have come in a little late i have to say .. many big schoolies in the rainbow channel worth a troll or even floating a pillie or two while drifting with the tide there are still lots of little ones with a few big buggers in the basin on the amity bank side opposite the lazaret gutter.but not in the deep they are sitting in 14 to 16 ft depth.
Plenty of cuttlefish and arrow squid wide of the hyubers and east side of green in 28 to 30 ft depth at the low tide mark and some good sweetlip and squire of the reef at green ..a few nice squire also caught at harrys and some really nice fish of the captain neilson wreck.
the whiting have come back thick in the small boat channel and there are some monsters at the amity banks but not in any great numbers.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Very sad news these last few days regarding the two young men who have not been found yet,i went out today and went up and down for around 5 hours seeing if i could help in some small way because fishing just did not cut it today .i just could not get my mind off the two young men and their families so i looked where the police boat were heading and just followed there pattern but wider so i would not get in there way ,as i really did not know what to do, except go up and down and look.but nothing to be seen i cant believe how hard it is to look for something or someone in glass conditions and to think hundreds upon hundreds of boat out and nothing i heard a bucket was found.
It has upset me to hear people saying all sorts of things regarding size of boat and that they should not have been out and so and so,well when most of us were young i am pretty sure we new better and went out fishing when we should not have, the fishing call sometimes gets the better of you and you cant resist and sometime it bites you on the bum, most of us came thru it and as old farts like me now we are allot more careful,i just hope these two young men are found and they have a great story to tell.
thinking of the families and all their loved ones .hope we hear good news soon.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:42 pm

What nice days the last 3 and no sign of the predicted 20 knots ,i listened and missed out on a couple of good looking evening fishing sessions ,never mind plenty of whiting in the chain banks side of the small boat passage and you cant stop these arrows and cuttlefish at the momment,some nice squire/snapper at the mt cotton reach in the rous channel today this area is producing quality snapper in the last few months so worth a try.
A few good mackerel in the rainbow and a few decent ones in the peel basin on the amity and the lazaret gutter side ,i had a short troll this morning going past the hope banks and snagged two small ones just under,they should not be far of comming back to the western side of the bay.just keep trolling on the way out and we will get a few soon.
green island has gone a little slow with only a few decent fish maybe the new moon will be better,a few days of wind comming up with small windows open to get out for a fish.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:41 am

Looks like the winds are going to ease on the week end and all next week ,a few reports have come in ,some good schoolies in the rous channel especially in the shallows while catching whiting well worth having a pilly under a float only a couple of feet under the float.rainbow channel also holding some nice schoolies.
harrys and the mt cotton reach are producing really nice snapper at the momment and lazaret gutter as well .the whiting are growing in numbers all thru the chain banks and the rous channel and also at the entrance of the rous at the red and green markers.
and the cuttlefish and arrow squid are still in the deeper water from wellington point to st helena a drift in 25 to 30 ft is where they are at and orange colour is working the best at the momment just of the bottom.