Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Wed 30th Aug 06

Post by Brad » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:31 am

30/8/06
The weatherman has again been playing silly buggers with conditions reported to be much worse on the weekend then they really were. Many anglers, including myself, abandoned trips after looking at the Bureau of Meteorology’s 20 to 30 knot wind report when the conditions were in fact quite fishable, especially in close.

I have had a few reports of chopper tailor being taken in the Pine River as far up as Deepwater Bend over the last week. They have been caught on drifted pilchards as well as trolled lures. Unfortunately anglers trolling small minnow lures on light leaders for the likes of flathead have had a few lures bitten off after hook-ups on tailor.

The shallows around Sandgate have produced quite a few diver whiting over the last week with anglers doing well on the evening high tides whilst fishing from the shore. The occasional quality bream and flathead have also been taken on quality baits.

Scarborough Reef has again been fishing well with anglers catching snapper, bream, sweetlip, chopper tailor and several other species on soft plastics. The occasional quality jew is often caught in this area around this time of the year with specimens to nearly 30kg being caught on plastics over recent seasons. Bait fishing during the day will produce a few decent fish but if you are prepared to do a night trip and fish quality fresh baits around the change of the high tide then you are likely to encounter a quality snapper with specimens over 5kg being recorded.

Tailor are still being caught around the top of the tide between the Jumpinpin Bar and Kalinga Bank. Anglers are drifting pillies for good results but when the fish are feeding on bait close to the surface, a small chrome slug cast and retrieved is an exciting way to fish.

The flathead numbers are on the increase with anglers obtaining good results whilst trolling minnow lures along the edges of the banks on the last of the falling tide. Most of the major banks have been producing good numbers of flathead on the top of the tide, when anglers can get right up into the smaller gutters at the backs of the banks to cast minnow lures and soft plastics.

Bream have been fairly reliable catches on baits drifted in the deeper channels on the rising tide.

A few quality snapper were caught on soft plastics fished around Mud Island during the week with fish to 7kg being reported. All the bay’s islands would be worth a try.

No reports of cobia have come in to me this week but I am sure there has been a few caught. Most of the beacons in the northern bay are worth prospecting with live baits on the rising tide.

May your bait be nervous.

Gordon Macdonald
Tackle Warehouse
Ph. 07 33986500
masterbaitertackle@hotmail.com