Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Thur 4th Jan 07

Post by Brad » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:29 am

4/1/07
I managed a trip out onto the briny blue on New Years Day, even though the weather was not perfect early in the morning. It improved throughout the morning though, which made for a good day out. We headed from Manly to Amity, via the Rous Channel. A few splashes near the Harry Atkinson signalled pelagic activity but the longtails were hard to approach and we couldn’t even get a possibly productive cast in before they dispersed. I had my father with me so we went to the top of the Rous and drifted pillies in hope of a mackerel. This drew a blank on the toothy critters but did yield a few pencil squid to around 30cm. These were enticed close to the boat with the pilchard baits and then I scooped them up with a small aquarium style net, that I use for my bait tank, with my usual lightning fast reflexes. LOL. I only managed to net about a quarter of those which came within arms reach of the boat and at times up to fifteen would follow the pillie up.

We moved to the Rainbow Channel out the front of Amity and also found hordes of squid there as well. Although we didn’t have a squid jig on board and only had a small hand net that measured 20cm x12cm, I managed to boat 39 in a few hours- they were that thick. Once I even netted three in one sweep of the net. When cleaned, seared over the BBQ grill and dipped in a garlic, lime and olive oil marinade they were a very sweet meal. My mouth is still watering. The fish eluded us that day, perhaps they had a better meal on offer.

A few mackerel have been jigged up on chrome slugs around the beacons in the northern bay. Pilchards fished close to the bottom have been yielding results at times also.

Anglers casting lures around the snags have been getting a few mangrove jacks, estuary cod and trevally in Ningi, Elimbah and Glasshouse Mountain Creek. Small minnow lures, soft plastics and Prawnstars have worked well.

Tailor are still being caught along most of the ocean beaches with decent results coming from Moreton and North Straddie over the last few weeks. Dusk and dawn have been the best times to be fishing pillies, pencil gar or bonito strips for these choppers. The occasional greenback has also been encountered along with trevally to 6kg, especially at North Straddie.

Bream, whiting and flathead are still being caught in decent numbers in most of the estuaries but the recent rain may slow things down a bit.

Trolling small lures around the estuaries is usually productive at this time of the year with flathead, bream, trevally, estuary cod, jacks and other species being encountered.

Bait fishing around the bay islands has been a little slow during the day but an occasional quality fish has been caught at night.

A few schools of small tunas and bonito have been sighted along the front of Bribie Island. Longtails have occasionally been feeding right in close to the shore dump in the early morning but you have to be Johnny on the spot to put a cast in as they have been fairly elusive.

The crabbing should improve over the coming weeks, especially after the little bit of rain we experienced recently.

May your bait be nervous.

Gordon Macdonald
Tackle Warehouse
Ph. 07 33986500
masterbaitertackle@hotmail.com