Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Thur 15 Mar 07

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:22 pm

MORETON BAY REPORT

Not a lot has changed since last week, with good results forthcoming for many anglers. The results have been a little patchy at times for some but if you are prepared to try a few spots and different techniques then you are guaranteed to catch a few.

Some quality snapper have been taken from Scarborough Reef and anglers have found that a mixed bag of species can be caught here for a session with baits or plastics. Species such as snapper, sweetlip, morwong, bream, flathead, estuary cod and mulloway are some of the more commonly caught species but they are a host of others that are possible. Fishing at night with good fresh baits is the key to hooking one of the better quality snapper, with specimens to 5.2kg reported over recent weeks.

A few good quality bream have been caught in the Dohles Rocks area, as well as flathead and diver whiting. Heading upstream to areas such Deepwater Bend is also a good option but don’t forget your cast net, as the prawns have been pretty thick at times in this area. Trolling the edges of the banks with small brightly coloured minnow lures will definitely produce a few school flathead.

The Rainbow Channel has been a good spot to look for a few mackerel as they have been regularly working up towards the Amity end on the rising tide. Also check out the top end of the Rous as there have been good schools sighted there as well. If you are after a bonito to troll baits for Spanish mackerel then the Rous is a good bet, especially the mid-section dogleg.

An occasional Spanish mackerel has been caught in the bay over recent weeks with most taken on trolled lures or drifted pillies fished around the edges of the spotted mackerel schools.

These schools have been attracting a lot of big sharks as well, especially bull sharks and tigers to around ten old fashioned feet. More than a few anglers have lost hooked mackerel to these big boys, including me, who was dusted six times last weekend by sharks engulfing mackerel hooked on light line or fly fishing tackle. I hope they had trouble passing my slugs a few days later.

The estuaries have been producing a few fish for the keen anglers going to the trouble of acquiring fresh baits such as worms and yabbies but the fishing has been a little quiet most of the time. If you work hard though you should be able to get a decent feed of bream, flathead, whiting and the occasional other species such as trevally, grunter and threadfin.

A few school jew have been caught down around Kalinga Bank by anglers with live baits drifted in the channel at night. Jigging plastics can also be worth the effort at times.

A few tarpon have been caught around the Bribie Island Bridge at night on live yabbies or hardiheads fished unweighted. An occasional quality snapper has also been hooked with the best reported to me going just on 55cm.

Fishing plastics around the bay islands can produce a few decent fish (mainly snapper) at times although the going has been a little slow over the last week due to the smaller tides. I took keen local angler Kym Lynch out for a run last Friday and he caught a snapper around 50cm on his second cast at Peel Island. Unfortunately it was the only decent one we caught in the next hour. We then went and caught eight spotted mackerel along the edge of the Naval Reserve Bank and also lost a lot to sharks and pulled hooks as we tried to skull drag them in to keep them away from the biteys. It was a great morning, and all in mirror calm conditions.

May your bait be nervous.
Gordon Macdonald.