10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Tony Zann
Reporter

Report Monday 2 April

Post by Tony Zann » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:00 am

I have managed a couple of trips out in the bay since my last report. I did a quick trip out last Sunday 25th with Megan White as she wanted to have a go at a few whalers sharks. She did well and managed to land 4 in around 2 hours. It was a good quick trip as we were back at the ramp around 8pm.

I ventured out again last Friday 30th with Kym Lynch to chase a few pelagics but with a good 15 knots of NW until around 9.30 am we only ventured as far as St.Helena where we set a berley trail for a few sharks. We managed to tag seven in a couple of hours before the wind began dropping off, then we headed a bit wider towards the mouth of the Rous where we quickly found the action we had come for. First cast into a small school that popped up in front of us produced a double hookup and two spotted mackerel landed. Next cast I hooked a longtail but pulled the hooks on the first run. A few more casts produced another longtail of around 10kg, which was sharked after about 40 minutes on 6kg line. I set up the fly rod and first cast hooked another longtail on 8kg tippet, which was nudging 12kg but seemed to have had his red bull that morning as I just couldn’t wear him down. After about 30 minutes he too became shark sashimi. We then caught a few Watsons leaping bonito and cast at a few more longtails. Kym hooked up but pulled the hooks on the first run. We managed to get to a few more schools but I had put the rod away and pulled the Nikon out to get a few shots of the feeding longtails, which were popping up at regular intervals. Chris was out in his Polycraft and managed to land three longtails of around 9kg each, a great effort. With so many sharks around it probably pays to fish a bit heavier so as you can get the fish to the boat quicker.

Good numbers of flathead have started to show up in some of the estuaries and creek systems. The mouth of the Brisbane river produced five nice flathead for my neighbour Gavin who was trying out some new soft plastics. He also managed a few nice snapper to 55cm on whole whiting late last week at a top-secret spot towards the mouth. A few snapper have been taken on plastics along the ledges upstream from Clara’s Rocks and around the Gateway Bridge.

A few tarpon have been caught by keen sportsfishermen under the Bribie Island Bridge at night. They are floating unweighted live yabbies or live hardiheads (when you can get them) on kahle style hooks. They have also caught a few decent snapper as well.

A couple of school jew were caught on plastics along Kalinga Bank at night during the week. Plenty of effort has been put in for every fish caught. A few flathead and small GTs were also caught.

Spotted mackerel are still being caught around areas such as the Rainbow Channel, Banana Banks, Naval Reserve Banks, Shipping Cahnnel, Rous Channel, Pearl Channel and the North West Channel.

An occasional cobia has been caught by anglers around the Beacons in the northern bay with the M3 producing a 20kg specimen as well as a big trevally last weekend.

Most of the estuaries and the shallow flats at the mouths of the creeks and rivers as well as the Wynnum foreshores are producing decent numbers of whiting.

A few good jacks are still being caught up in the canals, mainly on live baits.

May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.