10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Thursday 21 Jun 07

Post by Brad » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:23 am

A few good afternoons greeted anglers in the bay late last week and early this week, however most of the week has been write off due to gale force winds.

I managed to get out for a few hours on Monday afternoon on a new Seastorm Tiger 23 owned buy Ben from The Tackle Warehouse. It was an enjoyable session on the water with nil wind (the calm before the storm, as it turned out) and a few fish about. We mainly fished plastics, which accounted for several decent squire, a few estuary cod and of course the usual grinners. I soon switched over to the fly rod and was rewarded with the best snapper of the session at 56cm, my PB so far on fly, after only a handful of casts. He was tempted by a grey and white clouser and gave me inspiration to develop a few patterns that may suit this species in this area better. Also caught a trevally, and of course a few grinners and pulled the hooks on another solid fish which hit like a freight train. The bait fishermen also scored a few good fish just on dusk as well as plenty of smaller squire and other species.

A few big longtails were also chasing gar on the north-eastern corner of Mud. We didn’t have a shot at them but they should easily be tempted with Fat R style poppers, slugs or larger profiled flies. They were solid fish in the 12kg to 17kg bracket so make sure you’ve got a packed lunch if you hook one of these guys on lighter gear.

Peel anglers have also found the going good with snapper, parrot, morwong, trevally, cod, bream, sweetlip and several other species being caught recently, including a 48cm coral trout. Both baits and plastics have worked, with the western side being the most productive on a rising tide and the north-eastern side the best on the falling tide.

Whiting have still been a little hit and miss but one angler I spoke to during the week had done well in Brown’s Gutter. He used live worms until he ran out and then tried the Berkley Gulp worms for the first time. These also produced great results for him.

He then went to the Harry Atkinson while he filleted his whiting. He discarded the frames over the side for a while and then put a single hook through a head with the frame hanging off it and also floated this down unweighted. He soon had a 5.2kg snapper on the deck, which rounded off a great session.

The estuaries have been steady although the bream numbers at Jumpinpin have been increasing. The quality of the bream has been good with many anglers accounting for fish over 30cm in length on both baits and lures. Tiger Mullet Channel, Kalinga Bank, McKenzies Channel and Canaipa Passage have been a few areas that have fished well.

The flathead have also been steady but there is not a lot of quality with plenty of fish just around the 40cm mark.

On the rising tide there has been a few tailor around the Jumpinpin Bar area. Most have been taken on drifted pillies and similar baits but occasionally they can be targeted with chrome slices when they feed close to the surface in the top end of the channel. An occasional school jew has also been encountered, mainly on live baits such as mullet and herring with the rising tide definitely being the best time to fish this area.

A few tailor have been caught in the mouth of the Pumistone Passage from the Bridge right out almost to Skirmish Point. The area near the tripod beacon has been worth a look late in the afternoon when small conglomerations of tailor can be seen working baitfish.

Several reports of squid have filtered in with the Amity Wall, St.Helena, Goat Island and northern end of Mud being productive areas.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.