10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 27 Sep 07

Post by Brad » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 am

Gee, when will this wind bugger off? The angling opportunities have been fairly limited lately due to windy weather. Early mornings pose the only opportunity for anglers to get out on the bay recently. Luckily, results have been positive for many who have made the effort. A gap in the weather last Saturday allowed me to get out onto the bay although I only went as far as Mud and St.Helena. I drifted pillies on the northeast corner of St.Helena after a hunch that there may be some school mackerel around. I was right and managed three of around 58cm to 61cm in length as well as a Hammerhead of around 15kg and another smaller whaler, which were both tagged. All were taken on pillies drifted from the shallows close to the island out into the deeper channels. Also managed another school mackerel on the southeast corner of Mud and worked a few plastics, although by around 10am there was little run in the water and as a result no fun for me. I decided to call it a day and was back home with the boat washed by around 11am.

The Jumpinpin area has been firing for quality flathead, with plenty of anglers getting their PB in recent weeks. Whoppers to well over 90cm have been caught and released but plenty of 60cm to 70cm ones have also been boated and kept by anglers after a feed. Trolling small minnow lures and casting soft plastics seem to be the best technique of late, however I am sure a few quality specimens have also been caught by anglers drifting baits in the main channel. The Kalinga Bank area has been one of the hotspots for big flathead but those anglers with a good knowledge of the ‘Pin area have been doing well at a variety of locations. Gold Bank, Whalleys Gutter, McKenzies Channel, Slipping Sands and the Aldershots are other areas definitely worth prospecting.

The Pumicestone Passage area has been worth a try for flathead also with some decent numbers being caught at times. Although this fishery generally lacks the numbers of larger flathead that other areas have there is still some awesome action to be had with flathead to 91cm being caught in recent weeks. Live bait fished in the deeper holes near the bottom of the tide is probably the best approach for larger fish but you are better off targeting the school size flathead which are more numerous and eligible for table fare. These can be trolled up on minnow lures worked along the edges of the banks on the last of the falling tide.

A few tailor have been taken on pillies around the Bribie Bridge at night by anglers fishing around the top of the tide. Live baits fished in this area readily get eaten by unstoppable creatures, usually large stingrays and shovelnose rays. An occasional estuary cod to around 8kg is also hooked as well as the odd quality snapper. The bay islands are producing a few snapper but it has been reasonably quiet from all accounts. Baits and plastics fished at night appear to produce the best opportunities.

An occasional smaller school of longtails has been sighted in the bay and they have been fairly flighty most of the time, only staying on the surface for a short period, because the bait is not that thick. I had a good shot at a school on the eastern side of St.Helena on the weekend but stuffed the only cast I had whilst they were within a reasonable casting range. A few schools have been sighted in the Pearl Channel and along the front of Bribie.

The beacons off Bribie have produced an occasional school mackerel and yellowtail king for anglers jigging chrome slugs and slices. Live baits fished close to the beacons may even tempt the odd cobia however they have not been around in any numbers. A few whiting have been caught around the Sandhills, Browns Gutter, Little Ship’s Channel and lower section of the Rous Channel. There are still a few squid to be caught around the bay islands shallows on both squid jigs and squid jags baited with a pillie. Mud Crabs have been reasonably good in recent weeks with captures being reported from most of the major river systems and creeks.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.