10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 1 Feb 08

Post by Brad » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 am

Well I only managed one trip out in the boat this week and that was to the Gold Coast Seaway where I managed three small mulloway and a few dart. The Bay has still been a little slow from all accounts with plenty of anglers taking advantage of the recent spells of decent weather to wet a line. Mornigs have been the best bet as most afternoons the winds have increased between 5knots and 15knots, which has made the trip home both slow and uncomfortable.

A few decent quality snapper continue to be caught around the bay islands along with a mixed bag of flathead, sweetlip, cod, moses perch, morwong, parrot and a plethora of other reefies. An occasional school mackerel has been caught on both plastics and bait but overall the going has been fairly slow. Mackerel have been almost none existent in the bay except for the occasional fish taken around the beacons in the northern bay on jigged slugs, drifted pillies and live baits such as yakkas and slimies. The only other report of mackerel that has come in over the last week has been for a few fish taken on drifted pillies and trolled spoons in the top end of the Rous Channel and along the Amity wall.

An occasional cobia has been reported but most seem to be incidental captures by anglers targeting other species. Live baiting around the beacons may be productive as could be areas such as the artificial reefs and ledges in the northern bay. If you are heading outside the bay then try Yellowpatch with livies, as both black and yellowtail kings can be caught here along with some spectacular trevally and cod.

A few squid can be caught in the shallows on the eastern side of St.Helena on both the prawn style squid jigs and squid jags baited with pillies or other whole fish. Enjoy this area while you can because it is one of the places scheduled for closure in the next few months under the EPA’s ridiculous and scientifically unfounded new proposal. A few longtails have been found throughout the bay and anglers have managed to interest the odd one with small chrome slugs and baitfish profile flies. They have mainly been small, flighty schools but most of the longtails are better than 10kg in weight.

Anglers have been getting a few decent hauls of prawns in the Brisbane River, mainly at night. The activity heightened on the last full moon and there has been reasonable numbers caught by those who have a quality sounder and know how to use it well. Some anglers have also been doing alright whilst casting from land-based positions. During the week, I managed a few decent feeds of banana prawns and even a few tigers and squid while cast netting from a few land-based spots late at night. I also threw a rod in from one spot and managed a Brisbane River Slam of a catfish, a pike eel and a stingray. Lucky me!! I will be in Townsville for most of the next week and am hoping that by my return that the action will be hotting up in the bay. Fingers crossed huh.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.