10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 11 Feb 08

Post by Brad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:33 am

Sorry the report is so late this week but I have been up in Townsville doing a spot of barra fishing (season opened February 1st) and since getting back I have been waiting for some good reports to come in. Unfortunately there has not been a lot of positive news, but enough to inspire me to get out amongst them.

Longtails have been caught along the front of Bribie Island with anglers scoring results on slugs, plastics and fly. Most of the stick-bait style plastics such as Zoom Flukes, Powerbait Minnows, Gamblers and Bass Assassins have scored results when fished on light jigheads and worked through the small patches of fish that pop up. Slugs have worked at times however a lot of the time there has been too much bait around and the longtails are not interested in chasing just one single baitfish (or slug). Flies are awesome in this situation because a well tied presentation can be cast into the school and then just allowed to sink like a wounded baitfish. The longtails will usually just casually slurp them up.

Fishing around Peel has been fairly good with both plastics and bait working on snapper, sweetlip, tuskfish, morwong, cod and several other species. Best snapper reported to me was a shade over 5kg and was caught on a Zoom Super Fluke in the baby bass colour. Baits such as prawns, various fresh fillet baits (including locally caught pike), half pillies and even chicken fillet marinated in tuna oil have been producing results. Fish with as small a sinker as you can get away with and a long leader to allow the bait to waft around. Enjoy this area while you can as it is one of those earmarked for closure soon.

A few good snapper have been taken at the houseboat wreck at night. Anglers who know this area well are aware that it is best to fish the wreck and surrounding rubble ground whilst drifting and fishing baits or plastics. When you are going to motor back up to start another drift, take a wide berth of the area you want to drift over. Most of the estuaries have been pretty ordinary, despite the fact that there are a few prawns around. Try the mouths of creeks and rivers towards the top of the tide when there is a mix of fresh and salt water. A few jew are a good possibility at Jumpinpin around the bar and also around the Bribie Bridge at night. Big shovelnose rays are also abundant in this area most of the time and are a sucker for a larger live bait targeted towards mulloway.

There has been a little surface action around the South Passage bar on the run out tide but I have not had reports as to what species is harassing the bait. It is definitely worth a try for a few prawns in most of the larger river systems as some anglers have been getting good numbers. Setting a few crab pots in the deeper holes, along collapsed mangrove banks and at the mouths of gutters may reward you with a feed of mud crabs. The sand crabs have been a little quiet in the bay of late but anglers have been getting a few around the drop offs adjacent to the islands and in the more prominent gutters. Although the fishing has not been marvelous, there has definitely been enough fish out there to make the effort worthwhile.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.