10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 18 Feb 09

Post by Brad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 am

Did a bit of a tour-de-bay on Tuesday as the weather was finally looking good on my day off and I was keen to get out and check things out. The weather bureau has been all over the place with their predictions lately and it seems as if you can’t get an accurate reading more than six hours out from you planned departure time. It was a relatively calm day with just a few knots of westerly in the morning and no more than ten knots of south-easterly throughout most of the day. First stop was Mud Island, which was relatively slow, although I managed a 52cm snapper on a gulp 5” Jerk Bait as well as several under sized specimens. Then to the four beacons for a bit of a jig with a chrome slug which only produced a small yellowtail kingfish of 41cm which was tagged and released. There had been a few longtails west of Tangalooma over the last week and today they would not disappoint. First cast with one of the new Maria slugs produced a solid hookup and after about 30 minutes of fighting, and nearly getting run over by a barge, I managed to land, tag and release around 11kg of sashimi. Out came the fly rod and after some careful stalking a school popped up within 30m and the fly was eaten as it landed. Twenty minutes later with the longtail within a few metres of the boat a large whaler shark engulfed the entire 10kg plus in one effort. Another fly and another cast twenty minutes later produced a similar take and again I was on although this time to a fish well over 12kg. Over twenty minutes passed before I got colour. With the longtail just a few metres from the net, the 8kg leader parted.

On the way back I stopped at the E5 beacon and dropped a pillie to the bottom and instantly hooked and landed a 42cm sweetlip that was ike-jimed and put on ice. Second drop and a 67cm school mackerel was gaffed and relocated to the esky. Several more drops produced nothing. On the way back, half way to Mud, I noticed a single bird hovering. After around ten minutes of slowly following him at idle speed I saw a small splash. I cast a slug in that direction for an instant hookup on a spottie that later measured 65cm. A few more casts at Mud produced nothing so I headed back to the Brisbane River. The tidal flow was good for a few casts with a Jackal Mask along the ledges and jetties. At one of my favorite spots I had a pickup on the second cast as it was sinking and missed it as I was putting the electric down. A few casts later produced a 41cm estuary cod and then a 48cm flathead both of which were released. Many more casts and another pick up by a quality fish as it swam towards me. I set the hooks and all hell broke loose as a 102cm fork-length threadfin felt the points. I landed and released it within a few minutes and it swam away healthy. I was stoked. Ten minutes later I was on again, this time a threadfin of 91cm fork length, which again was released. After another twenty odd casts, the tide had picked up a bit by now and a rain storm was eminent so I headed for the ramp. What a top day on Moreton Bay.

Apart from the longtails west of Tangalooma there has also been a few in the Rainbow Channel and the back of Peel but these have been very flighty from all accounts. The schools along the front of Bribie have been a little easier to approach but have often been hard to tempt although those with very small chrome slugs, flies and small stickbait style plastics such as Powerbait Minnows, Zoom Flukes and Atomic Jerk Shads will be in with a decent chance.
The spotties have been few and far between and have rarely been feeding in decent schools. Specific targeting and plenty of stalking is often required to pinpoint and get within casting range of individual fish cruising the surface. Once the cast is within five metres, hookups are usually forth coming with a high-speed retrieve.

The threadfin in the Brisbane River have been fairly active since the rain stirred up the greasy prawns. Landing two in under 30 minutes was a great result for me and shows that they can be caught at any time of the day. I was fishing at around 12.30 and about half way into the full tide at one of the busiest sections of the river. Plenty of other species such as cod, flathead, bream and snapper can also be caught it these same areas. Small hops with Jackal Mask, Gulp 5” Jerk Baits and a variety of other offerings will put you in with a good chance along any of the prominent ledges and drop-offs. Snapper around the bay islands have been fairly hit and miss however those putting in a good effort have often been rewarded with quality fish to 80cm. A few other species have also been caught, however most anglers have found the fishing fairly tough.

The prawns have been a little hit and miss although some anglers have managed a few kilos at some of the creek and river systems feeding into the bay. The trawlers have been working the river fairly consistently which indicates that there must be a few prawns around, however I have not found any recreational anglers who have managed to do well yet. Some anglers have managed a few kilos of small banana prawns and large greasy prawns in some systems such as Logan River, Cabbage Tree Creek, Pine River, Burpengary Creek and Caboolture River.
Hopefully good weather will allow anglers to get out and about on the water over the next few weeks.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.