10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 3 Nov 09

Post by Brad » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Ventured out into the bay again last Monday to check out an old spot that I hadn’t fished for a while and to enjoy the awesome day that was predicted weather wise. Fished a few pilchards around the four beacons for a mix of snapper, bream, Maori cod, sole, flathead and moses perch, all of which were undersized and released. I then made my way further north, hitting each beacon with pilchards and slugs for a few school mackerel. I never got more than one schoolie of each beacon and had to work really hard for them. I then trolled a few minnow lures off the downrigger along the edge of the shipping channel and picked up a few more mackerel. In all, I caught nine legal school mackerel with four of them just a shade under 3kg or about 75cm fork length. It was a nice day out in the bay, especially considering it was flat on the way home. One sad note was seeing a large sea turtle dead and floating on its back at the mouth of the Brisbane River. It had probably been hit by a container ship or maybe even died from pollution or of natural causes, yet I am sure the Greens will be able to find some way to blame its death on recreational anglers.

The Brisbane River has been fishing fairly well with quite a mix of species being caught. Many anglers have been enjoying the pleasant nights and doing a little live baiting with good results forthcoming in the form of threadfin, estuary cod, snapper, flathead and others. One angler managed an 82cm snapper last week, which is a quality specimen for the river, or anywhere for that matter. There has also been plenty of juvenile school mulloway around but few have eclipsed the 75cm minimum length so most are being released. Casting plastics around the bases of the Gateway Bridge pylons has also produced a mixed bag of bream, snapper and cod. The sunken wall has been worth a few casts for these species also. Clara’s Rocks has been consistent with fish caught on baits, blades and soft plastics, especially Atomic Prongs.

There has been a few flathead to be caught in the estuaries with The Jumpinpin Bar area, Kalinga Bank, Gold Bank, McKenzies Channel, Whalleys Gutter and the Slipping Sands area all producing good numbers, the best reported to me this week going just under 80cm. Most have been caught on cast and retrieved soft plastics however trolling minnow lures has also worked at times. Mangrove jack numbers are still improving with good results coming from most of the canal developments. I have heard of two separate jacks of over 50cm in length that were caught from the Raby Bay Canals. There has also been quite a few squid in these canals at times but they have been hard to tempt. Newport Waterways and Aquatic Paradise have also produced jacks during the week along with estuary cod, flathead, bream and a few other species. The blades seem to be fishing very well, along with plastics and quality minnow lures to around 100mm in length.

Offshore anglers have been doing it tough over the last month especially those who like trolling. There has been a limited number of pelagics around and the demersal species have been a little hit and miss for many. Better water temperatures in the Hutchinson Shoals area has improved results slightly for anglers with a good run of juvenile yellowtail kingfish to around 5kg last weekend. Hopefully this is just the start of good things to come and it will soon be worthwhile to troll for marlin, sailfish and other pelagics. The bay islands (Peel, Green and Mud) have been producing a few snapper and school mackerel for those who persist. Numbers of legal grass sweetlip have been fairly good, especially around Green and the western side of Mud. An occasional quality snapper to 75cm has been caught from the eastern and northern side of Mud and the western side of Peel, on both baits and plastics. There is generally enough action to make the trip worthwhile for most. Drifting out a pilchard behind the boat is likely to produce the occasional school mackerel. There has been a few XOS parrot fish to over 10kg caught at a few secret spots in the southern bay. The anglers who target these tuskies have really refined their technique and upgraded their tackle to tangle with these brutes. They also go to the effort to catch live crabs for bait and lose way more fish then they land.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald